• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which Class do you hate/dislike ?

Which Class do you hate ?! (multiple choice allowed)

• Paladin... awful goody...

Votes: 37 17.4%
  • Sorceror or Wizard.. no wand waving...

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Barbarian... savages all

Votes: 26 12.2%
  • Rogue... thieves I say...

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Bard... too dandy...

Votes: 67 31.5%
  • Cleric... dont mention religion...

Votes: 22 10.3%
  • Ranger... smells strange...

Votes: 43 20.2%
  • Druid... no animals in the Inn please...

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Fighter... all muscles and no brain...

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • Monk... this is medieval europe !

Votes: 84 39.4%

hong

WotC's bitch
candidus_cogitens said:

It's THE CLERIC. It is archetypally askew.

While there are many reasons to dislike the cleric, this one leaves me mystified. The cleric has a perfectly good archetype behind it, and moreover, that archetype has been remarkably consistent ever since the days of OD&D.

The cleric is a _crusader_ at heart. It's basically the Knights Templar, or Teutonic Knights, or Knights of St John. It's the Church Militant. This is why it has the d8 HD, armour proficiencies, good Fort save, (reasonably) good attack progression, and so on. Now it's true that real crusading knights were trained warriors, and so by this reasoning clerics should have all the weapon proficiencies that fighters get. But _some_ concessions have to be made to game balance; and hey, at least now they can use edged weapons, unlike in 1E/2E.

Now I could go on about how the cleric is overpowered, or how people keep trying to use it as a generic priest (it's not), or how they confuse the cleric, fighter and paladin roles; but that would be boring. So I won't.

Last edited:

MutantHamster

First Post
Isnt that not suprising. THe classes I least play are leading. Im pretty sure everyone hates bards and monks because they suck ruleswise, and RPwise. I dont know why but I never play druids, I like to have them in my party though. I just dont playthem. Rouges are cool, fighters are cool, Rangers would be perfect with the addition of bonus feats in regular intervels(not as much as the fighter though, maybe every 3 levels or so). Clerics are good because theres no stupid failure percent for armor, even though i HATE the fire and forget system. Because I HATE the idea of spell components! That is soo stupid, haveing to prepare litle leaves or dolls or metal pieces whenevr you cast a spell! How stupid is that! Its not fair to limit a spellcasters spells per day (well wizards and sorcerers anyway) because thats all they have. No armor, usualy no good weapons. Isnt spell durations enough?

Rashak Mani

First Post
Well what no one is mentioning is the incredibly low rejection of Rogues ! Fighters as well... they arent on the favorite lists top funnily enough.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Well, Monks just are a bit too silly when they do 1d20 damage when fighting incorporeal beings through ki-strike IMHO.

In response to Rounser (IIRC, can't remember who it was on the first page who disliked druidic healing): Druids, since Masters of the Wild, are bette healers than clerics, with the regenerate wounds spells. Of course, it isn't instantaneous, but it is more bang for your buck, and it is a lot better down time healing than clerical healing is.

Rav

Rashak Mani

First Post
Regenerate has to be cast BEFORE the wound actually happens which does make it somewhat bothersome to use... reading it makes it understood that regenerate wont heal wounds made before the spell is cast.

MutantHamster

First Post
The setting is Feudal Fantasy not Feudal Europe. All of DND isnt European influenced you know. Alot of the weapons, monsters, classes, all have other influences like asia and africa

So really The druid and all those fit better than you think. Midieval England was actually quite different from most campaign settings for DND

Last edited:

Information

First Post
Leopold said:
bards..the most USELESS class ever in 3e..1e version was hardcore..shame someone doesn't do a 1e to 3e conversion of that one..that makes the bard more realistic..other than that he/she is useless to the extreme in a party..

I'll tell you what, my friend. If I can get around to it in the next week or so, I'll do a conversion of the 1E bard to 3E and place it in the conversion library.

Will be the first of my many future contributions! :)

gamecat

Explorer
SORCERERS!!! Everything about them. That spontaneous casting is so powerful and the players that play them bitch about limited spell selection. That I must prepare my featherfall for it to be useful.(Can I get 8 hours before you push me off this cliff, mr. orc?) Lastly, Hennet's perennial nippliness:eek: is disturbing. I didn't vote, cause Wizards kick ass. Harry Potter, Elminster, Khelben Arunsun, and Gandalf can't be wrong.

ThomasBJJ

First Post
I don't like Rangers, Druids are hard to include in a party and have other problems, but Bards..... Oh how I HATE Bards by such a huge margin.

I liked the 2nd edition Bard, a single classed Fighter/Thief/Wizard, the jack of all trades. But this singing-spell idiot? what the hell? no, no, no

Remove ads