• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which core races have you played?

Which Races Have You Played? (multiple picks allowed)

• Human

Votes: 150 94.3%
  • Half-Elf

Votes: 108 67.9%
  • Half-Orc

Votes: 67 42.1%
  • Elf

Votes: 120 75.5%
  • Eladrin

Votes: 47 29.6%
  • Dwarf

Votes: 113 71.1%
  • Gnome

Votes: 58 36.5%
  • Dragonborn

Votes: 40 25.2%
  • Tiefling

Votes: 42 26.4%
  • Shifter

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • Goliath

Votes: 19 11.9%
  • Wilden

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Warforged

Votes: 30 18.9%
  • Deva

Votes: 22 13.8%
  • Githzerai

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • Minotaur

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • Shardmind

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Changeling

Votes: 22 13.8%
  • Lizardfolk

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 58 36.5%

Greg K

Legend
For the past two decades+, I have only got to play twice (for short periods) as I am, usually, the DM. In my campaigns (which last years), I have had:

Dwarves: 3 (all by same player)
Elves: 2
Gnomes: 2
Half Elf: 3
Half-giant (Goliath would have worked): 1
Half-Ogre: 1
Halflings: 2
Human (most popular): 21+ (not including any one-shots )
Lizard man: 1

Prior to DMing, I had played 6 humans, 1 dwarf, 1 elf, 1 half-elf. Since then, 2 humans.

Last edited:

Mengu

First Post
Human
Half-Elf
Half-Orc
Elf
Dwarf
Gnome
Dragonborn
Tiefling
Goliath
Halfling
Drow

I've played more humans than anything else, though I've only played one 4e human.

I have played the majority of races, and am happy with a rich race mixture, but not in the main book. The main book should have about 4 Human, elf, dwarf, Halfling. I also think a lot of other races should be considered human for most cases, like deva, tiefling, dragonborn and such. Make things simpler.
Why not? Any version of D&D that only includes 4 races from the get-go is going to feel like a depauperate half-game, and will not offer the experience that I expect most gamers are expecting.

I can't imagine more terrible advice to WotC.

GameOgre

Adventurer
Another Halfling vote- *Kiicks you in the knee*

I think on average Halflings get played about as often as gnomes. It's a acquired taste kinda race.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Granted, I have not been on the Player's side of a DM's Screen since the late 80s, but some favorites included:

Cornalan, half-elf, male
Mistanda, half-elf, female
Solon, half-elf, male
Twilyte, dryad, female
Heather, female
Usala, female
Serrus, human, male
Mirada, elf, female
Wulf, elf, male
Corinna, elf, female
Jesaryth, drow, female
Eclipse, drow, male
Krok, half-ogre, male
Daerland, gnome, male
Talsanan, half-elf, male
Rhebus, minotaur, male
Medea, elf, female
Daylyth, wild elf, male
Aqualus, aquatic elf, male
Aura, atomie, female
Thistle, halfling, female
Wendover, halfling, male
Gykon, juju zombie, male

If I had to roll up a new PC today, I do have that spellstitched swarm-shifter dread necromancer emancipated spawn half-scrag sea kin lacedon with aboleth grafts concept I keep kicking around. ;)

delericho

Legend
I DM much more than I play (except 4e).

Of the core races, I've played humans (1st Ed), dwarves (3.0e), dragonborn and tieflings (4e). I haven't ever played a non-core race, although I have seen them played.

I don't allow non-core (3.5e) races in my games (except setting-specific races, like Warforged in Eberron), and I don't allow subraces. But that's just the way things have been, not necessarily an absolute statement of how they will be forevermore.

As I've said on a couple of other threads, I believe the Starter Set should include Humans, Elves, Dwarves and Halflings. The Core Rulebook should include at least those four, and if it includes others the selection should be based purely on which are most played. With one exception: they shouldn't include elves and eladrin, or elves and half-elves - there's no place for multiple 'elfy' races if you're cutting other things to make room.

Remove ads