• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which D&D Campaign World did you enjoy most?

FoxWander

Adventurer
I took the liberty of tabulating all the results so far.
Pts Setting
13.5 - Eberron
13 - Planescape
13 - Greyhawk
9 - Darksun
8.5 - F. Realms
6.5 - Al-qadim
6 - Dragonlance
6 - Homebrew
5 - Spelljammer
3.5 - Ravenloft
3.5 - Birthright
2.5 - Scarred land
2 - Thieves World
2 - Kara-tur
2 - Mystara
2 - Kalamar
1.5 - Blackmoor
1.5 - Jakandor
1 - Lankhmar
1 - Ptolus

How did I get this? Basically I just read thru the post, wrote down settings as they were mentioned and then gave them a point for every mention. For people that split there vote between DM and player I'd give each setting a point. For those who mentioned one favorite setting and then elaborated on their love for another as well, I gave a full point to the first mention then half a point to the second. I did the same for those who gave a ranked list, at least for the first three on the list- a full point for the first setting then half for the next two.

For me, my most enjoyable setting is Spelljammer. I just really like the feel and tone- though I prefer to cut out the sillier elements. Followed closely by my wife's homebrew setting- where I've had my longest running campaign.

hafrogman

Adventurer
For me, I think the PoL setting (and to a similar extent, the undefined Greyhawk of 3rd ed) is my favorite setting to play in. It's just a generic world that builds on a sort of background understand we share from having read one (or a dozen) too many trashy fantasy novels in our youths. There's a place for everything (just over the horizon, a distant continent, across that mountain range, wherever) without the muddled sensation I get from settings trying to cram everything in. Unless a player or an adventure calls for an element, there's no need for it to exist yet.

Of the published settings, Dark Sun in my favorite because it has a different feeling while still being the kind of fantasy I like. The whole world cataclysm that drives the differences stops it from being dropped into a more generic setting, so it needs its own world.

Of the other settings, generic fantasy worlds that have been fleshed out by others are nice, but uneccesary. I don't particularly care who the king's chancellor is when my character is a simple peasant. So, nothing against Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Birthright, Mystara, whatever, I just don't feel the need for them.

Ravenloft and Eberron are interesting enough worlds, but just don't really mesh well with what I want from my gaming or my worlds.

Planescape, Spell Jammer and Al-Qadim I've never really been exposed to. Perhaps I'd like them for being something unique, but none of their concepts have ever drawn me enough to look into them deeply.

1. Birthright. Love it, wish it would be reworked and re-released for fourth edition. Cannot praise it enough.
2. PoL. Lots of great ideas with plenty of negative space. The negative space combined with the seeds of the great ideas compels me to think up neat things to fill said negative space.
3. Eberron. Great pulpy D&D setting, with some interesting twists on old standbys.

minitrue

Explorer
First, Scarred Lands. It's a shame there doesn't look to be a chance for a Pathfinder version.

When it only included the Witchfire Trilogy and the Character primer, I really liked the Iron Kingdoms. But the creation of Warmachine and it's necessary changes to the rpg, killed it.

Forgotten Realms, many great memories from the early 90's playing in Germany.

Baphomet

First Post
Its tough to choose just one, as many have very particular strengths that I have enjoyed...but ill try.

Planescape-

Both as a player and a dm is probably an all time favorite for me. The setting evokes such a sense of wonder and mystery where anything can happen. Sigil is still my favorite city in both atmosphere and richness of plot hooks abound and planar adventuring can take you anywhere and doing anything.

Forgotten Realms (pre 4eth ed)-

I love high fantasy, wizardry, the exploration aspect of many ruins. Everything just has so much personality in the FR, even the gods are more interesting than other gods in different settings.

Darksun-

Love the gritty survival aspect to the game, probably like playing it more than DMing it and only every once in a while, but its a great setting full of flavor and much different than your typical DnD world.

Ravenloft-

Im a huge horror fan, and this setting I like DMing more than playing in. I like creating an atmosphere of dread and tension for my players walking the thin line between making them feel strong and powerfull yet vulnerable and lost. Love the flavor of it but again its only one of those once in a while settings. Overusing it makes it lose its allure.

Eberron-

This is the setting I picked up with 4th edition and the one im sticking to for the time being. Its high fantasy with some cool futuristic stuff in it, lots of awesome political intrigue, history, ruins and places of wonder to explore, warring factions and just overall very cohesive and fun setting. Its definetly my new Forgotten Realms and go to setting. Cant believe I missed out on picking this up back in 3rd edition, glad im on the bandwagon now. Im currently running my campaign in it and loving it.

mac1504

Explorer
Midnight by FFG. Hands down the best campaign setting I've ever played in or DM'd. Dark Sun would be the close second.

Very excited to play in a Dark Sun campaign soon (4e)!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads