• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which D&D Campaign World did you enjoy most?

amnuxoll

First Post
Updated

15 - Greyhawk
14.5 - Eberron
13 - Planescape
10 - Darksun
10 - Forgotten Realms
7 - Homebrew
6.5 - Al-qadim
6 - Dragonlance
5 - Spelljammer
4.5 - Birthright
3.5 - Ravenloft
3.5 - Scarred Lands
2 - Thieves World
2 - Kara-tur
2 - Mystara
2 - Kalamar
2 - Lankhmar
1.5 - Blackmoor
1.5 - Jakandor
1 - Ptolus
1 - Midnight
0.5 - Iron Kingdoms

Personally, I'm surprised that Planescape and Eberron are doing so much better than the Forgotten Realms. I also suspect Darksun is doing better than it normally would due to the recent 4e re-release.

Hussar

Legend
I think that if you turned this into a poll, that you would get a pretty radically different response. You're only counting those who are invested enough in a given setting (or bored enough) to read the thread and type out a response. I imagine that if you polled this, FR would jump way up (once you got past the ballot stuffing anyway).

Orius

Legend
Favorite? Definitely homebrew. I like playing in my own sandbox with my own toys the most.

Of the published settings, I like Planescape the most. I'm surprised it's this popular. Also like the flavor and some of the concepts behind Birthright, but TSR probably shouldn't have published it when they did when there were too many settings around.

Chrono22

Banned
Banned
Of the published settings... I have the most experience running pre-spellplague forgotten realms.
After that, I enjoyed ravenloft. Rokugan comes in as a close third.

Eberron always struck me as more of a gimmick than a full-fledged campaign setting. Lots of stuff happening on the surface, but it's just another high magic setting under the hood.

I'd say Ravenloft is my favorite, in spite of not running it as much. Its setting, npcs, and adventures are dripping with description and flavor. The alterations to how magic functions also goes a long way to putting the fear back in spell casters.

Set

First Post
First, Scarred Lands. It's a shame there doesn't look to be a chance for a Pathfinder version.

Much of it is usable as is.

Ideally, there would be Domains for each of the Titans (not for Clerics, but for *Druids* to choose via Natural Bond), a Sorcerer Bloodline for each of those Titanic areas of focus (twistblood for Gormoth, gluttony/hunger for Glaurak, serpent/venom for Mormo, plague/pestilence for Chern, etc.) and some extra Pathfinderized Domains, but, many of the signature creatures are easy enough to port over and use as is (just strap on CMB and CMD, for the quick and easy 'we won't sweat the details' conversion).

A few Scarred Lands Domains for Pathfinder.

Wik

First Post
Hm. Two D&D Campaign Worlds spring instantly to mind:

DARK SUN: Because I love games where I can give the Players next to nothing, and they love me for it. I also love games where "Take down the corrupt templar" becomes a suitable goal, as opposed to "Stop evil dragons from invading the world and destroying everything". I like smaller, more human stories, and Dark Sun is a great place to do that - amidst a crazy backdrop. It's also the only D&D setting I can think of (except for maybe Eberron) where the use and existence of magic within the setting actually makes sense.

JAKANDOR: Warriors versus Wizards. Humans only. An actual explanation for why the ruins exist, and why you want to explore them. A setting with few magical items (one whole side destroys such items upon finding them). Neither side is "good" or "evil" - you could have the players vote at campaign start which side they wanted to play. About the only stupid thing in the entire setting were those giant "mech" thingees, and that's more a personal preference. Also, the character kits were really evocative while still allowing two members of the same kit to be entirely different from one another.

Those are my two settings of choice. I only like Eberron if it's infused with elements of modern history and all the apostrophes in names are dropped. The Realms stopped being good at around the time Nirvana became a band. Dragonlance has never "done it" for me. Greyhawk is too vanilla. Planescape is too weird. Al-Qadim is too swashbuckly. Spelljammer is intriguing, but I must reserve judgement.

Oh, and I'd jump on a Council of Wyrms game in a heartbeat. The one time I played it, I was a silver dragon named Freddie Mercury, and it was AWESOME. Next time, I want to be a copper dragon named Penelope, but everyone can just call her "Penny".

ArmoredSaint

First Post
I've always liked Greyhawk, Birthright, and (strangely enough) Eberron.

Most of the other settings just don't grab me and I feel neutral towards them.

I'm not fond of the F'Realms--something about Ed Greenwood's attitude bothers me, and some of that has seeped into the world he created.

The only settings I actively hate are Sigil (I hate the very concept of the Lady of Pain) and Dark Sun (I hate the lack of metal). I will refuse to even consider playing in either or those settings.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads