• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which D&D edition do you *really* prefer?

I’ve believed for a long time that I prefer 3.5. But a while a go I started thinking about it, and the truth hit me: I don’t actually DM 3.5. I don’t “think” 3.5, and in reality, I don’t much care for 3.5.

What I actually prefer is a 2e setting (including all worlds and settings and the unified multi-verse cosmology) with moderately house-ruled core 3.5 rules.

I revert most 3.x cosmology changes back to 2e with house rules to take care discrepancies. I encourage what I call “legacy multi-classing,” which is essentially gestalt multi-classing with averaged hit points and an increasing level adjustment. I virtually eliminate prestige classes, although I allow the class variants (“kits”) from UA. I reject any base classes outside of the PHB, Expanded Psionics Handbook, and Oriental Adventures (with very few exceptions). I enforce a default world with a lower magic, “less exotic” feel, and strongly encourage players to stick to core races (normal subraces encouraged).

I also realized that most of the 3.x books I have are 3.0 (although I use whatever official or unofficial updates are available). I have what I consider “the essentials:” PHB, DMG, Expanded Psionics Handbook, Manual of the Planes, Epic Level Handbook, and Deities & Demigods. Throw in the Monster Manual, Monster Manual 2, and Fiend Folio to cover my monstrous bases. (All 3.0 or updated from.) Add campaign settings. The few actual 3.5 books I have are all for a specific reason. Draconomicon: because I love dragons. Complete Arcane: because Warlock is the only 3.x class that I heartily get on board with. Planar Handbook: because I love the planes. And Magic Item Compendium: literally, because I was a player in a game that made heavy use of it.

Then I just add my own house-rules: eliminating all XP costs (power components only), eliminating all permanent level drain (while making resurrection actually more rare and risky through other means), creating my own assassin base class, re-balancing the skill list and armor types, creating vast quantities of complex terrain and climate based standard random encounter tables, removing incongruities in certain creature types and template, and several other rules.

But...other than that I mostly use the rules right out of the core 3.x, and have little use for any of the later 3.5 enhancements and innovations.

D&D 3.5? Once I look at the specifics...it doesn’t seem so.

I’ve seen more than once on the forums where a grognard (I use that term with respect rather than derision) will decry certain newer editions of the game, and express his strong preference for the old school style (usually ends up being AD&D 1e)...but then go on to mention in passing the few house-rules that their group has used since time immemorial, which are actually significant enough that it’s questionable whether or not it should actually be considered AD&D. No Vancian casting, changed classes, alternate healing methods, etc.

So I started wondering what editions we are actually playing (or preferring). Is it the edition you think it is? Or is it a hybrid? Are your house rules minor, or do they effectively make it a separate game?

This thread (as my example indicates) is all about whether our self-assessments of our preferences are accurate, not about which editions are perceived as superior or inferior.

Takers?

halfjack

First Post
D&D 3.0. I remember AD&D 1st ed. very fondly, but it's not my favourite. 3.5 was the death knell for my D&D campaign -- I don't think I ever ran a D&D game again. That might have happened anyway, though.

Crothian

First Post
Rules Cyclopedia. They cleaned up the system pretty well, it has skills, smaller selection of spells, neat weapon options, and very playable at many levels of play.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
House rules. It turned into its own edition, basically. 3.5/PF based still, but it has 4e elements, stuff from older editions including setting info, and several things from other games and own ideas.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
1e, though the version I play and run has been modified to the point where it's almost its own system yet still vaguely recognizable as what it was.

Lanefan

Gilladian

Adventurer
I run 3.5, E6 variant. I suppose it must be what I like best! I've thought about going back to an older edition, such as 2nd or even 1st, but there are just too many issues that 3rd fixed, that I just can't see doing it.

I do think 3rd is broken at higher levels, or AT LEAST, too complex. In some ways, it is too complex out of the box, but I can make it work up through 6th or 8th level.

I do know that I LIKE lighter rules systems, I just want them to be more "finished" than I found basic or advanced dnd to be, after playing 3rd. So I stick with the least difficult to play the way I enjoy.

I tried 4e, and I will play it, but somehow I just can't bring myself to run it...

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Rules Cyclopedia. They cleaned up the system pretty well, it has skills, smaller selection of spells, neat weapon options, and very playable at many levels of play.

In agreement with BECMI/RC. I like the simplicity of character generation and leveling, the weirdness of many of the adventure modules, the speed of combat, and the complexity of everything else.

I love the 2e settings and cosmology. I am a big fan of the idea that all the official D&D settings are part of one conjoined cosmology, if you want to go spelljamming or planewalking.

I adore old-school Planescape, and 2e Realms was so rich in it's "fluff" that I doubt any official WotC setting will ever produce books as rich as Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue or Faiths And Avatars and its companion books Powers and Pantheons and Demihuman Deities. 2e also gave us such wonderful, rich products as Al Qadim and Dark Sun.

However, in terms of mechanics I generally prefer low level 3.5.

I hate how complicated the game becomes to run above 7th or 8th level, as combats take longer and characters become slowly more and more about how much stuff they have.

I really don't like the AD&D rules though, 1e or 2e. So constricting, so limiting in what a character can do or be. Multiclassing restrictions, ability score restrictions, level limits, nonweapon proficiency slots (or worse, Secondary Skills), racial restrictions on base classes, the counter-intuitive THAC0 math, and a hundred other complaints.

What do I really like? 2e style and fluff, with d20 rules-set, but either lower-level play or some as-yet-unknown simplified rules set that preserves the best of 3.x without turning the higher level game into the bogged-down accounting sessions that our 2e sessions never became.

Remove ads