Which Edition of Ars Magica?

What's your favorite edition of Ars Magica?

• 2nd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3rd

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 4th

• 5th

Greg K

Legend
I have a special spot for 3rd simply on the basis that it was my introduction to Ars Magica. Third Edition added unnecessary changes True Reason and and also tried tying the setting to the World of Darkness and the Tremere. It is my understanding that changes were dropped beginning with Fourth Edition. However, despite the special spot I have for 3rd, I would go with 2nd or 5th.

I have never owned or played either second or fifth. but the following is based on my recollection from message boards. Second edition, is a lighter game, "Mythic Europe" was not fully fleshed out and the game's indie roots show. As for Fifth edition, people on rpg.net and other sites tell people that, if they are considering fourth or fifth edition, fifth edition is the way to go. Fifth from my understanding is a cleaned up version of fourth that also fixes issues with fourth edition. Furthermore, Fifth Edition, like other post 2e editions, is more complex, crunchier, and "Mythic Europe" has been fleshed out into a full setting with a lot of support.

ccs

41st lv DM
I voted 3rd.

But my actual play xp is rather limited.
I played a little bit of 1e may many ages ago - but it just wasn't what I was looking for at the time.
I played/suffered through 3e for about a year back in 2013. I liked the rules well enough, the premise, etc. But the initial arc being run was awful thanks to the DM & one player (neither of whom would learn the magic system) & the group simply wouldn't touch the system again.
I own a few of the 5e books (but not the core rules) & have mined them to good effect for my own D&D game....

Jhaelen

First Post
I don't have much experience with 2nd edition, I only have the Covenants supplement from it.
3rd edition was the one I started with, but I felt it suffered a bit from too much 'cross-pollination' from White Wolf's World of Darkness setting.
4th edition had a few problems with game mechanics, e.g. knights collapsing under the weight of their own armor...

So, 5th edition it is!
AFAIK, it also happens to be the longest-running edition with plenty of supplements resulting in the most complete description of the setting. It also explored lots of alternative ways to play the game, e.g. mundane characters, as apprentices, going beyond the medieval setting, transcending the limitations of magic, etc. In short: it's awesome.

Arilyn

Hero
2nd edition is my favourite, and the one I am most familiar with. Didn't like what they did in 3rd. True reason didn't work, because there is actually magic in the Ars Magica world, and anybody valuing reason would figure that out. I too felt that attempting to tie it into the White Wolf setting just didn't work.

5th looks good too. Read it, but haven't played it.

Remove ads