• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Which Feat(s) for a Rogue: Sentinel or Crossbow Expert + Sharpshooter

ShadowSeeker

First Post
Character Generation in our group: point buy (30 points), one extra feat at 1st level.

Party Setup: Half-Orc Barbarian, Human Ranger, Half-Elf Warlock Sorcerer, Wood Elf Rogue (me). As we are taking turns in being DM my rogue is working together with only two of the other chars at the same time.

My Stats: Str: 10, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 14

I'm starting at level 4 (Arcane Trickster): With our extra feat at 1st level, I can either choose two feats or one feat and ASI.

Which would be more efficient in combat: Sentinel and +2 Dex or Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter?

Minsc

Explorer
Would you consider Crossbow Expert and a +2 DEX?

As a guy who's done the Crossbow Expert/Sharpshooter combo (and it IS devastating), you really don't want to be taking -5 to hit without maxing out your DEX first. You'll just miss too much for it to be worth it.

Also, give some serious thought to at least 2 levels of Fighter. My CE/SS character was a Fighter, and I definitely would have missed a whole lot more if it weren't for the Archery Fighting Style. Level 2 in Fighter gives you Action Surge, and if your schtick is DPS, you'll dish out more than that Barbarian if you have Extra Attack (Fighter 5). JMO.

ShadowSeeker

First Post
Would you consider Crossbow Expert and a +2 DEX?

As a guy who's done the Crossbow Expert/Sharpshooter combo (and it IS devastating), you really don't want to be taking -5 to hit without maxing out your DEX first. You'll just miss too much for it to be worth it.

Also, give some serious thought to at least 2 levels of Fighter. My CE/SS character was a Fighter, and I definitely would have missed a whole lot more if it weren't for the Archery Fighting Style. Level 2 in Fighter gives you Action Surge, and if your schtick is DPS, you'll dish out more than that Barbarian if you have Extra Attack (Fighter 5). JMO.

I'm open for any suggestion. I really thought about multiclassing with fighter. Level 1 gives access to all armor and weapons and fighting style. Level 2 gives Action Surge. Level 3 could give threat range of 19-20 which would be cool with Sneak Attack. But then I decided to go as a pure rogue as I didn't want to miss out to many levels.

(Maybe a Fighter would be more suitable for Crossbow Expert + Sharpshooter.)

So I'm leaning towards Sentinel. But I see several problems:
1. It uses the reaction which blocks the use of uncanny dodge.
2. I would have to go melee as a rogue (and stay there) to make use of sentinel.
3. A consequence could be that enemies are targeting the rogue to avoid attacks granted by Sentinel.
All of these consequences could make for a short life as rogue...

Remove ads