• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which Game Would YOU Choose for Wil Wheaton's Tabletop RPG Spinoff?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Easy, Edge of the Empire. The Fiasco episode shows how a game built on narrative and played by a group of actors and writers makes for great viewing.

That might also speak to them working with something FATE based.

Though, with 20 episodes, I think I'd rather they cover a couple different games, than spend all the time on one.

Agamon

Adventurer
That might also speak to them working with something FATE based.

Though, with 20 episodes, I think I'd rather they cover a couple different games, than spend all the time on one.

FATE would be great, but Star Wars would pull a lot of eyes.

I think that you are referring to GURPS. :D

The HERO System / Champions could work for the same reasons.

I think both would be bad ideas because both are incredibly fiddly systems - and Wil has already said he doesn't want one.

Seconded! I'd rather that they had at least five and probably ten different games they could play pretty fast in there than that they had a campaign of twenty episodes of the same game. Given that on my list would be:

• Apocalypse World
  • Atomic Robo (as our Fate based game)
  • Fiasco Round 2
  • Dogs in the Vineyard
  • Something One Roll Engine-ish (probably Monsters and Other Childish Things)
  • A Leverage caper, bringing back John Rogers from the Fiasco episode to play the Mastermind
  • Star Wars: Edge of Empire
  • Dungeon Crawl Classics (ending in a disaster with everyone blown up)
  • Feng Shui v2 if it's ready for high kicking action movie stunts
  • Dread (with the Jenga tower constantly in the corner of the screen)
  • Paranoia

All in my opinion very televisable, none as terribly complex, and all giving plenty of opportunities for the various actors they have on the show to play up.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Yeah, it would be great to see multiple systems in use, but that's a lot of info for non-roleplayers and n00b-roleplayers to process.

Better to use just one system, so the viewers can see how roleplaying is done, instead of how to negotiate different rule-sets.

And what system would I like to see? Besides O.L.D?

How about Far Away Land? Easy to fill 20 episodes if you include the optional world-building rules.

But I'd really like to see Final Fantasy d6. Partly because I love classic Final Fantasy, and partly because I'd like someone to save me the trouble of learning the rules myself ;)

I can't offer Wil my homebrew, because it contains illegal ninja moves from the government. :hmm:

Agamon

Adventurer
20 shows is not a lot. Even edited down, each show is only a short session, or even half of a short session. The TableTop Fiasco and Dragon Age episodes were both double episodes and they covered short, one session games.

He did say he wanted to concentrate on one game to show a whole (though short) campaign. This sounds like a good idea. The reason he hasn't done more RPGs on TableTop is because he doesn't want to explain and try to play an RPG in an hour or two.

TreChriron

Adventurer
Supporter
Wil and Chris Pramas are friends. Felicia Day just recently posted a Tweet including a pic (selfie) with her and George R.R. Martin. As a producer on the show, it's not hard to think she put a bug in his ear... :)

I'm guessing it will be A Song of Ice and Fire RPG... :)

The reviews I've read are favorable and it doesn't seem super complicated. Building a new house and following the heroes' adventures from this minor house would be fun watching. I wouldn't worry too much about the potential mature subject matter in ANY game they choose. I'm sure it will be PG regardless.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
...which was my caveat. He is "in talks", and he had to get the go ahead from EA/BioWare for Dragon Age, so it's not impossible.

With respect, EA/Bioware isn't Disney. Disney has something like 100 times the net income of EA. Which doesn't make it impossible, of course, but it makes it a rather different beast.

I'm guessing Disney's going to have little interest in handing anyone else any creative control over anything related to Star Wars at the moment.

Agamon

Adventurer
With respect, EA/Bioware isn't Disney. Disney has something like 100 times the net income of EA. Which doesn't make it impossible, of course, but it makes it a rather different beast.

I'm guessing Disney's going to have little interest in handing anyone else any creative control over anything related to Star Wars at the moment.

I didn't mean to imply that EA is equal to Disney, just that this kind of thing has precedent.

And I wouldn't say that allowing promotion of an already licensed game is releasing creative control.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads