• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which Game Would YOU Choose for Wil Wheaton's Tabletop RPG Spinoff?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I didn't mean to imply that EA is equal to Disney, just that this kind of thing has precedent.

Insofar as working with a licenses property can be done, yes. But I would imagine working with something as big as Disney to be a rather different beast.

And I wouldn't say that allowing promotion of an already licensed game is releasing creative control.

But it isn't just "promotion". He's not making a scripted advertisement. He's doing a largely unscripted demonstration - with all the snark and goof-ups that may entail. For it to be useful for the show, the parent has to be kind of "hands off" about what gets said and done, and I wouldn't expect them to be so about Star Wars right now. Maybe after the new movies have shown to be hits, sure. But I would expect now to be a bit more delicate, PR-wise.

dm4hire

Explorer
What about Numenara? Seems like it could be interesting.

I agree with this. It's fresh, limited books to work with and has the ability to cross multiple genres, depending how it is ran. Add in the options for the weird and Cthuhlu angle and you can have an edgy vibe that will strike extra cords.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
I the ability of a game to sustain a 20-episode campaign has more to do with the people playing it than the system, unless its something designed for a one-shot like Fiasco or Dread.

You stripped out my explanation in your quote to make it look like I was saying something I wasn't.

To be clear, I don't think that SW is incapable of sustaining a 20 episode (or 20 session, for that matter) campaign.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
But it isn't just "promotion". He's not making a scripted advertisement. He's doing a largely unscripted demonstration - with all the snark and goof-ups that may entail. For it to be useful for the show, the parent has to be kind of "hands off" about what gets said and done, and I wouldn't expect them to be so about Star Wars right now. Maybe after the new movies have shown to be hits, sure. But I would expect now to be a bit more delicate, PR-wise.

I'm not too clear on how the legal side works. If I wanted to video myself and my friends playing a game, I wouldn't ask permission. What if I wanted to post a video of myself playing with a Star Wars Lego set?

There's clearly a dimension I'm missing.

Last edited:

In this video:
[video=youtube_share;j8kbnL5Ws9E]http://youtu.be/j8kbnL5Ws9E?t=4m9s[/video]

it sounds to me that there may be a custom/new RPG System for the show. ("putting a system for the show together")

EDIT: the important info starts around the 4min mark

To me the whole point of watching table top is seeing different games in action. I was hoping the RPG show would be the same premise, just appied to RPGs.

Agamon

Adventurer
To me the whole point of watching table top is seeing different games in action. I was hoping the RPG show would be the same premise, just appied to RPGs.

It's the apple and orange problem. There are very few RPG equivalents to the myriad of board games like Ticket to Ride, Smash Up, and Forbidden Desert; quick, easy, learn and play in an hour or less. Showcasing RPGs' strengths in comparison to board games sounds like a better idea.

It's the apple and orange problem. There are very few RPG equivalents to the myriad of board games like Ticket to Ride, Smash Up, and Forbidden Desert; quick, easy, learn and play in an hour or less. Showcasing RPGs' strengths in comparison to board games sounds like a better idea.

Certainly RPGs take more time to play, but presumably they will edit down each episode to show highlights and discuss the elements of the system that were interesting. Board Games and RPGs are different, but I just do not see the point of watching them play an RPG designed for the medium of television. FFor me, the value of the show is they could showcase different RPGs that I might not otherwise play or investigate and expose me to things worth trying. I would watch it for the same reason I watch the regular Table Top who, to find new and interesting games or see how a game that I am curious about plays.

Grakarg

Explorer
My personal preference would be for Savage Worlds.
Its stripped down enough and rules light enough to make it easy on viewers, its open to any genre, and there wouldn't be the licensing concerns other have mentioned. There is plenty of published material available, and lots of different wild options if desired.

I'd also consider Fate Core a possibility, with its open playstyle it could be an entertaining option with a group of players who are also well versed improv actors/comedians.

I also wouldn't count out straight D&D. The new books are coming out, it will have high visibility as a product, it has high brand familiarity outside the hobby, genre familiarity with the audience for a fantasy setting, etc. I could see a scenario where WOTC/Hasbro would be eager for Tabletop RPG to become a success and be willing to help tie together any synergies.

Matchstick

Adventurer
Savage Worlds. They can then pick a setting they want, or even multiple settings with only one ruleset. I think Savage Worlds would also fit nicely in to a situation where they might have to get a lot done in a short time in game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads