• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which is your favorite new class & why?

fuindordm

Adventurer
It's a tough choice, but I'm going to have to go with the oracle. The class is simple, yet inspiring. A neat piece of work!

The witch is a close runner-up.

Among the core classes, I think the rogue got the most interesting expansion with the vast array of low-level and high-level talents.

Ben

Dredan

First Post
I would have to agree, the MMO's I always played the pet classes just because of the survivability that is needed when you go into dungeons without a group. Base class though in DnD I love the arcane casters (wizard and Sorc)

Gnome

First Post
I need to look at the alchemist and inquisitor more closely, but I am really enjoying the witch's flavor and crunch. I used 2 of them along with a green hag as villains in the last session I ran, and the spell list and the hexes of the witches made the combat a lot more interesting.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Summoner, defnitely.

In EverQuest 1 & 2, I loved my Necromancer (and, to a lesser extent, the Magician / Conjurer).

In Dark Ages of Camelot, my favorite classes were Theurgist (summons many small elementals), Cabalist (creates one large golem), Enchanter (summons a fey sorcerer ally), Bonedancer (creates three or four skeletal servants).

In City of Villains, it was all about the Masterminds, with their teams of robots, thugs, ninja or zombies.

Heck, I even loved my Star Wars Galaxies Creature Handler, back in the day, with his pet Rancor (not that anyone used the Rancor, since a trio of Sludge Panthers were more effective...).

The chance to play a real 'pet class' in D&D is totally cool.

I agree. I always love having a pet or being the wizard that is a "one man army". This gives you a chance to be that. Summoning has almost always been fairly useless in D&D. This class might actually be a useful summoner, though I still think the price of gate is way too high to be of real use.

Wycen

Explorer
Of the six new core classes, I like them all, but I'm thinking I'm going to try the Alchemist first. Mostly, because I don't have the core book and don't want to buy it, (it's on my list of B-day presents) so without using the SRD, the alchemist looks the most self-contained magic user type class, though the summoner looks very tempting.

lightgun_suicide

First Post
The witch.

I agree that a hex should be added to polymorph (other and self), perhaps with a curse attached with a get-out clause (kiss a prince, wear a crown etc) a la Ravenloft? I also think a broomstick should feature in there somewhere. Perhaps more hexes, less spells? At the moment the witch has almost equal spell casting abilities as a wizard of the same level, min/max'd I'd rather play a witch than wizard or cleric. However I assume that was intended.

Last edited:

Remove ads