• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which is your favorite on-screen Star Trek captain?

Which is your favorite on-screen Star Trek captain?

• Willard Decker (U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • John Harriman, Jr. (U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-B)

• Edward Jellico (U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D)

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
Without Sulu's leadership, Excelsior would have been destroyed in the shockwave of Praxis's explosion. That and aiding Kirk against a ship that can fire while cloaked, thus saving the peace between Federation and Klingon Empire.
Perhaps, but to pick him as the best captain for that is, I'm sorry, just ridiculous.
I'm sure that African-Americans and Nationals would praise Sisko for being their first "star" captain. I mean, up until DS9, they always cast Caucasian as the leading "star" captain of the Trek series. ;)
That would be ridiculous and frankly demeaning, too. You're the best because of who you are and what you do, not what kind of skin you live in. If Sisko's the best captain it has nothing to do with his being Afro-American (ha, I watched Malcolm X recently, can you tell?).

And no, Picard ain't the best because he's white. ;) Though maybe because he's naturally bald. :D

ddvmor

I'm a little teapot!
Of course all of the arguments put forward here about who's the best captain and so forth are moot, since the question asks who your 'favourite' captain is! And you don't have to have any reason other than - I liked Kirk beacause he could pull off bell-bottoms or Picard beacause of his shiny, shiny nonce.

I liked Sisko's beard. That's why I'm voting for him!

evildmguy

Explorer
I voted for Archer. While there were some problems with what they did with the series so far, which are irrelevant to this discussion, I think Archer had to make the toughest decisions because he had to make them first. The others get to look back at him, so to speak, and see what he did as a captain in forming their own opinions.

Granted it could be argued a lot about the writing but I also think they put Archer in some of the worse Kobiyashi Maru situations, where his choices weren't very good at all. I think that's why I liked the homecoming episode of this season, where he is now a bitter, angry man at what happened and what he did.

I probably also voted for him because overall, I have liked Enterprise for what it is, and didn't know enough of TOS to know when they violated canon. :D I didn't think he would get many votes.

Second is tough between Sisko and Picard. I didn't like DS9 after its second season but after watching it all on DVD, it really amazed and impressed me. (I am only sorry the new Dax didn't get more time to develop.) They were both good characters that I really liked. Very different in their own styles but effective at what they were supposed to be doing. I like that more and more.

I never liked Voyager and after watching it for a season and a half I gave up. So, Janeway is low on my list.

I haven't seen all of TOS although it is tempting to get them on DVD and watch them. I am not a big fan of Shatner's acting style so that unfortunately biases me. Having said that, as I get older, I think I better appreciate what the time of Kirk was like, gleened from Enterprise and the various RPGs, and I think I can appreciate him more now.

Just wanted to add my own coppers here.

Have a good one! Take care!

edg

The_Universe

First Post
I voted Kirk, but Picard almost won out.

I think that TNG was a better show overall...but the original cast (and thus the original captain) had a truly original kind of chemistry and personality that the TNG cast does an excellent job of emulating, and even expanding upon. It's far better than any of the other casts (even DS9, where the real chemistry was just between Garak, Quark, and Odo).

Kirk is the original, and the captain against which all others will be compared. He's my favorite, but if he were off the list, it would be Jean Luc Picard all the way. :D

Orius

Legend
Ranger REG said:
You know who else is not on the poll?

General Martok
Kang
Kor, the Dahar Master

:\

I thought it was pretty evident we were talking about Federation captains.

A coolest Klingon poll would be interesting though. Those three would be front runners along with Worf.

Last edited:

Wombat

First Post
One of the things I am finding most interesting with this poll is the number of people who say X (whichever) is their favourite captain, but that Sisko is their #2 choice.

Hmm, if we counted each of those as a quarter vote, I think the commander of DS-9 would be in the lead ;)

This is not a slam on the other captains (all of them are cool), but I just think Ben Sisko is brimming over with suave and style.

Besides, I just loved him with the shaved head and goatee :cool: :lol:

Ranger REG

Explorer
Orius said:
I thought it was pretty evident we were talking about Federation captains.
The question asked for Star Trek captains, not Starfleet. ;)

I'm sure you pinkskins would like to vote for Shran of the Andorian Imperial Command.

[image placeholder: Andorian smiley]

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads