• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which is your favorite on-screen Star Trek captain?

Which is your favorite on-screen Star Trek captain?

• Willard Decker (U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • John Harriman, Jr. (U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-B)

• Edward Jellico (U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D)

Starman

Adventurer
jonesy said:
Sisko beats Kirk in a fistfight, Spock in a logic debate, Picard in brainpower, Worf in a staring match and Sulu in cool. :D

I'm sure he does...when he dreams at night.

There can be no doubt that Kirk is the greatest starship captain of all time. No other captain has his combination of courage, tactical genius, leadership, fighting ability, and panache. I cannot think of any mission where I would want someone other than Kirk in charge, especially with his Enterprise crew behind him. They earned their legend status.

Starman

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I voted Picard, because he's far cooler than Kirk, but Sisko was very close behind. None of the other captains are worthy of consideration - though if Enterprise recovers, Archer could be in the running for fourth. Especially if he murders Trip.

Picking Sulu because he's Asian is kinda silly, I think. He didn't do anything significant onscreen, and lauding him solely because of his race diminishes any genuine accomplishments he might have. It's like praising Colin Powell for being the first black SecState, instead of judging him by what he actually may or may not have accomplished.

Laurel

First Post
Voted for Picard.... because he's Picard. He showed a true balance of having power, but not abusing it. He listened to his crew, but made up his own mind from all the choices available. He got close to his crew and understood them, but remained above them as their captain.<O:p</O:p

Sisko was/is a close second, but not for the same reasons. Almost the opposite. He got very involved with his crew members, and often blurred the differences of Captain and Father. But it was these choices and these actions that made him fun to watch and cool to see grow into the command position.<O:p</O:p

For female captains, honestly Janeway's not that bad. Looking at the list though Garrett seemed like a better captain, but for the short span and not a major player during that time can't put her above Janeway.

Janeway almost pushed something's too hard- example- must be seperate from her crew. In some cases it just made her look cold, and in others it just cased strange tension with her command group. I can't and couldn't pick her since she also seemed to change over the seasons of the show, but then towards the end just went back to being starfleet pushy, rush in, make all the decisions Janeway.

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
mhacdebhandia said:
Picking Sulu because he's Asian is kinda silly, I think. He didn't do anything significant onscreen, and lauding him solely because of his race diminishes any genuine accomplishments he might have. It's like praising Colin Powell for being the first black SecState, instead of judging him by what he actually may or may not have accomplished.
Without Sulu's leadership, Excelsior would have been destroyed in the shockwave of Praxis's explosion. That and aiding Kirk against a ship that can fire while cloaked, thus saving the peace between Federation and Klingon Empire.

I'm sure that African-Americans and Nationals would praise Sisko for being their first "star" captain. I mean, up until DS9, they always cast Caucasian as the leading "star" captain of the Trek series. ;)

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Picard.

Both Picard and Sisko were believable career officers, while Kirk... was a Kennedy. He should have been given a light cruiser or a destroyer for his command, way too much of a hotdog for a ship of the line.

The Auld Grump, who realizes that trying to apply Naval standards to Star Trek is silly, but can't help it...

Lord Pendragon

First Post
johnsemlak said:
Data has at least one brief role as Captain in Redemption.
There's an episode of TNG where the Federation is blocking off a planet from the Romulans using Tackyon particle beams trasmitted between ships in a fleet, something like a net spread out to detect cloaked Warbirds. I believe several of the Enterprise senior staff, including Data, are given temporary command of ships in the fleet for the duration of the operation.

Felix

Explorer
Kirk.

Hot alien babes.
Fistfights with lizardmen.
Witty reparte.
"Prime Directive? Pfah!"
Hates klingons.
Better crew under him.
"Where no man has gone before."
The Wrath of Khan
The Voyage Home
The Undiscovered Country

And only the coolest captain could have an enemy that said this to him:
From hell's heart I stab at thee... I spit my dying breath at thee.

Remove ads