• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which is your favorite on-screen Star Trek captain?

Which is your favorite on-screen Star Trek captain?

• Willard Decker (U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • John Harriman, Jr. (U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-B)

• Edward Jellico (U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D)

Elf Witch

First Post
mojo1701 said:
Sorta reminds me of Trekkies, what you said.

Well, since I have proudly wore the title of Trekkie since I was a kid I will choose to ignore the jab and take it as a compliment.

It was the way Janeway was written. I always got the impression that Picard would sacrifice his crew for the greater good of the federation and I know Sisko was willing to do it.

When Janeway trapped her crew in the delta quadrant following federation and the prime directive it alwayse seemed that she made it her personal mission her goal to get the crew home. And as time goes on she you see her do just that bend farther and farther from federation standards.

It is why she is my favorite I cannot see Picard being able to do some of the things she did like the treaty with the borg. Though I can see Kirk doing some of it.

Orius

Legend
I'd have to say Sisko. Sisko gets my vote because he displayed a lot of well-rounded command talent — he's run a space station, served as a Federation diplomat mainly to the Bajorans, but also to several other races, done some deep space exploration, handled a number of first contact missions, and commanded fleets of starships in wartime. Few other captains have shown such a range of abilities and pulled them off well.

In close second comes Kirk. Swinger, cowboy diplomat, overacted, and a hell of a lot of fun to watch on screen, he's simply incomparable. But Sisko wins because he's more dependable than Kirk; the Starfleet brass obviously weren't going nuts with him breaking the Prime Directive every other episode like Kirk was wont to do. :)

Picard comes in third. He really reflects a lot of Roddenberry's humanist ideals, but he comes off as somewhat of a bore sometimes. And he wasn't all that likeable in some of the earlier TNG episodes. Picard's good as an explorer or a diplomat, but if you need conflict resolution, Sisko or Kirk are better.

I want to like Archer, but bad writing and storylines on Enterprise have really weakened his appeal. I think if the show pulls off some better episodes, this might change, for example if he becomes the important figure in founding the Federation that it seems he's being set up as.

Janeway was a terrible captain. Far too erratic and independant, she really doesn't come off as a good enough team player to be able to make it to captain in the first place.

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
Mercule said:
So, when did April get screen time? I've only even seen him referrenced in print.
Other than the non-canon Star Trek: The Animated Series, the late Gene Roddenberry posed as Captain April in a promotional picture.

ENTERPRISE could feature him or his parents in an episode, or give Gene's son, Eugene, a cameo as April's father.

Last edited:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
There's also Capt. Morgan Bateson of the USS Bozeman (NCC-1941) as portrayed by Kelsey Grammer in "TNG - Cause and Effect"

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Sisko beats Kirk in a fistfight, Spock in a logic debate, Picard in brainpower, Worf in a staring match and Sulu in cool. :D

Remove ads