The Orville vs ST: Brave New Worlds (Poll)

Which show is the preferred watch for "Real Star Trek"

• Poll closed .

Zardnaar

Legend
Think they're both on the same app here for free.

@Umbran does ENworld have a position on VPN's? Same app also has Halo, Doctor Who, BSG, Continuum,ST: Discovery.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
@Umbran does ENworld have a position on VPN's? Same app also has Halo, Doctor Who, BSG, Continuum,ST: Discovery.

EN World takes a dim view of piracy. We care that people who create stuff get paid.

If that app is licensed to deliver those shows, that's one thing. If it is just a way to get around paying for content, peddle it elsewhere.

Zardnaar

Legend
EN World takes a dim view of piracy. We care that people who create stuff get paid.

If that app is licensed to deliver those shows, that's one thing. If it is just a way to get around paying for content, peddle it elsewhere.

No it's licensed it's on a freeview platform here it's legit it's not piracy.

Hence why I was asking. It's the online app of our state broadcaster. I know enworlds piracy policy idk about VPN opinions I don't use one myself. Don't need to.

IMG_20220626_081255.jpg
TVNZ has a large amount of the geek shows for free. Trek, Who, Halo, BSG, Dark Matter, Continuum.

Amazon gets us Expanse and Picard (currently inactive), free Netflix (bundled with ISP), and we pay for Disney+. Probably reactivate Amazon soon.

So all the geek shows cost us about $10 a month.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
I love both shows, but I will give edge to Orville.

Last 2 episodes(7&8) of SNW were little "meh", but 3rd episode of Orville was also weak.

Is the poll and title still fixable, by the way?

I am very biased towards Star Trek, but Strange New World so far has been really amazing. I think the new season of Orville (nor the previous ones, really) has so far not been as good.
But I am very happy I can have both.

TheHand

Adventurer
I voted Strange New Worlds, but I've really been enjoying Orville. If you have to pick 1, you might ask yourself: Do you want a show closer to TOS in spirit (SNW) or TNG in spirit (Orville)?

Hex08

Hero
I really enjoy both shows and prior to Strange New Worlds, The Orville was the best Star Trek on TV. Seth MacFarlane has done a great job giving us a show with a TNG vibe. For those of us who aren't fans of Discovery, The Orville scratched that Star Trek itch and early on those were the only two to choose from. Now we have a lot of Trek on P+ with Lower Decks and Strange New Worlds being the two best.

That said, I LOVE Strange New Worlds (it really feels like a TOS era show) so it got my vote.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
The answer here is clear.

The Orville, despite starting as a fart-filled vanity project of Seth MacFarlane, has turned into a very well-done and loving homage to ST:TNG without the rights.

Strange New Worlds, on the other hand, nine episodes in ... has had the best opening nine episodes of ANY STAR TREK SERIES EVER SINCE TOS.

It's not even close. TOS, obviously, had some insane classics in the first season ... and the first nine episodes still stand up. But look back at every single other series. Even the best (TNG, DS9) had a rough go of it to start with.

I really hope I'm not jinxing it, but ... even if the last episode of the season is bad (and nothing indicates it will be), this is, easily, the best first season of any Trek series since TOS. Period.

The Orville, which on its best day is off-brand TNG (which sounds like an insult, but it isn't- it's a darn fine show), doesn't stand a chance.

Or, to quote my dear friend SNARFZODIACKILLER:

ORVILLE IS A GOOD ZEPPELIN COVER BAND. STRANGE NEW WORLDS IS WATCHING GNR IN CONCERT SUPPORTING APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION BEFORE THEY SPLIT UP AND AXL GOT ALL CRAZY.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
The answer here is clear.

The Orville, despite starting as a fart-filled vanity project of Seth MacFarlane, has turned into a very well-done and loving homage to ST:TNG without the rights.

Strange New Worlds, on the other hand, nine episodes in ... has had the best opening nine episodes of ANY STAR TREK SERIES EVER SINCE TOS.

It's not even close. TOS, obviously, had some insane classics in the first season ... and the first nine episodes still stand up. But look back at every single other series. Even the best (TNG, DS9) had a rough go of it to start with.

I really hope I'm not jinxing it, but ... even if the last episode of the season is bad (and nothing indicates it will be), this is, easily, the best first season of any Trek series since TOS. Period.

The Orville, which on its best day is off-brand TNG (which sounds like an insult, but it isn't- it's a darn fine show), doesn't stand a chance.

Or, to quote my dear friend SNARFZODIACKILLER:

ORVILLE IS A GOOD ZEPPELIN COVER BAND. STRANGE NEW WORLDS IS WATCHING GNR IN CONCERT SUPPORTING APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION BEFORE THEY SPLIT UP AND AXL GOT ALL CRAZY.
I certainly have to agree with you on the first part, if not the conclusion. All of the series, post TOS, were pretty much duds in the first season. I felt that NG had two seasons of duds, before they found their feet. SNW hit the ground running and has only varied in levels of goodness. I have to wonder, however, if their dud first season would be counted as Disco?

Remove ads