Paul Wesley cast as Kirk for s2 of Strange New Worlds

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
It doesn't need to be an anything-forward. Captain Kirk could easily have been a captain already before he commanded the Enterprise, and this could just be him working with the Enterprise crew for awhile, much as Pike did with Discovery's crew.
Only if they are altering the established chronology (which they can do, of course).

From 2255 to 2257, Kirk was a lieutenant aboard the Farragut. It looks like Pike went back to the Enterprise after the events of ST: Discovery season 2 in 2258, so I assume that is when the first season of SNW will begin. If season 2 takes us to 2259, that is still too early for Kirk to be a captain (he would be 26 years old). Kirk did not become captain until 2265 when he took command of the Enterprise.

I have thought of two additional possibilities:
1) Alternate/parallel universe story.
2) Kirk might receive a brevet rank for a period of time, at least long enough to have his uniform changed to reflect it.

Edited to add one more:
3) Kirk dons the captain's uniform to bluff/deceive an opponent while the captain is indisposed/elsewhere (a very Kirk thing to do).

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
Only if they are altering the established chronology (which they can do, of course).

From 2255 to 2257, Kirk was a lieutenant aboard the Farragut. It looks like Pike went back to the Enterprise after the events of ST: Discovery season 2 in 2258, so I assume that is when the first season of SNW will begin. If season 2 takes us to 2259, that is still too early for Kirk to be a captain (he would be 26 years old). Kirk did not become captain until 2265 when he took command of the Enterprise.
I don't think it's established for certain anywhere that Enterprise was Kirk's first command. The period between him being a lieutenant on the Farragut and taking command of the Enterprise is pretty nebulous. And while it would make sense for Strange New Worlds to pick up immediately after the events of Discovery s2, that hasn't yet been confirmed.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't think it's established for certain anywhere that Enterprise was Kirk's first command. The period between him being a lieutenant on the Farragut and taking command of the Enterprise is pretty nebulous. And while it would make sense for Strange New Worlds to pick up immediately after the events of Discovery s2, that hasn't yet been confirmed.
True. Lieutenant on one ship straight to captain of a bigger ship is quite a jump.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
The trailer for SNW shows Pike
on horseback in the snow in the mountains, which I infer as some leave on his part, i.e. some passage of time,
but it could be flashbacks or something else.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
True. Lieutenant on one ship straight to captain of a bigger ship is quite a jump.
Yes, there is a big gap in Kirk's canon timeline. Non-screen/non-canon sources attribute his first command to a destroyer, but even that was pegged around 2263 or so, IIRC, when he was 30 years old.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yes, there is a big gap in Kirk's canon timeline. Non-screen/non-canon sources attribute his first command to a destroyer, but even that was pegged around 2263 or so, IIRC, when he was 30 years old.
The Making of Star Trek, the source of that destroyer, was written by Stephen Whitfied and Rodenberry, so I'd take that as canon.

Remove ads