Which is your favorite on-screen Star Trek captain?

Which is your favorite on-screen Star Trek captain?

• Willard Decker (U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • John Harriman, Jr. (U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-B)

• Edward Jellico (U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D)

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Psychic Warrior said:
Wasn't that from the future vision in "All good Things..."? If it was I thought they had changed the future by their knowledge of it and not letting certain things happen (like Worf & Deanna getting hitched).

Well, there's always the debate that all possible future do, indeed, actually exist...but setting that aside, it was an on-screen appearance as a capatin of his own ship. I suppose Beverly Crusher-Picard should also be mentioned as being in command of the Medical Ship USS Pasteur. Data, too, had his time in "the Big Chair" as did Worf, and although both were temporary commands in SF, Worf had any number of Klingon ships he commanded, IIRC.

s/LaSH

First Post
I'm fondest of Sisko. I came to this realisation when he poisoned a planet settled by humans/bajorans to resolve a conflict with Cardassian settlers. And there's all that other stuff too, that was just the point where I realised how cool he was.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Psychic Warrior said:
Wasn't that from the future vision in "All good Things..."? If it was I thought they had changed the future by their knowledge of it and not letting certain things happen (like Worf & Deanna getting hitched).
Nope, it's one of the time-traveling VOYAGER episodes. Survivors Chakotay and Kim went back into the Delta Quad where the ship was buried in ice and everyone perish, except the EMH they reactivated. They thought that by accessing Seven's neural implant they can send a message back in time to avoid their fate. Basically, it was a silly plot device.

I can only like Janeway during the first three seasons of VOYAGER, when they were untainted by Braga's leadership as the show's producer.

I like Picard because he can quote Shakespeare against an entity that could turn him into a targ with a snap of his finger.

I like Sisko because he can punch said entity that could turn him into a targ with a snap of his finger.

I like Kirk because he can chase the skirts in his ship.

But I prefer Sulu because he represents Asian bloods. Not too many Asian characters of such significance, unless he's playing a WWII, Korean War, or Vietnam War adversary.

Mercule

Adventurer
Kirk. Sisko and Sulu are both up there, though. I like Picard, but he's not my favorite. Loathed Janeway.

So, when did April get screen time? I've only even seen him referrenced in print.

Goodsport

Explorer
Mercule said:
So, when did April get screen time? I've only even seen him referrenced in print.

April and his wife were featured in the final episode of the two-season animated series.

Most consider the animated series (which aired a few years after the original series ended) as franchise canon. As a matter of fact, many have said that while the original series' three seasons covered the Enterprise's first three years of its five-year mission, the animated series covered the other two years.

-G

Mercule

Adventurer
Goodsport said:
Most consider the animated series (which aired a few years after the original series ended) as franchise canon. As a matter of fact, many have said that while the original series' three seasons covered the Enterprise's first three years of its five-year mission, the animated series covered the other two years.
Interesting. I've not seen much of the animated series. I was given the impression that it wasn't particularly good.

Goodsport

Explorer
Mercule said:
Interesting. I've not seen much of the animated series. I was given the impression that it wasn't particularly good.

It was okay, or at least as okay as an early-1970's Filmation cartoon could be. :)

-G

Goodsport

Explorer
Viking Bastard said:
In my experience, most do *not* consider TAS as canon. Very few do.

And it's not considered canon by TPTB.

TAS is listed on the official Star Trek website, and the characters, events, et al from it that are unique to TAS are included in the official website's database just as those from the other TV shows and movies are.

-G

Last edited:

Goodsport

Explorer
Viking Bastard said:
In my experience, most do *not* consider TAS as canon. Very few do.

And it's not considered canon by TPTB.
Goodsport said:
TAS is listed on the official Star Trek website, and the characters, events, et al from it that are unique to TAS are included in the official website's database just as those from the other TV shows and movies are.

-G

Hmm... upon further investigation, it seem that we're both somewhat right.

According to this page from the official site:

Although the Animated Adventures had an undeniable Star Trek-ness to them, they are not considered part of the Star Trek "canon," or accepted Trek storyline. Almost without exception, it is the live-action series and movies that are considered canon. However, some Star Trek "facts" are actually borrowed from the animated show, i.e. the name of the original U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 captain, Robert April; the surname for Spock's mother, Amanda "Grayson"; etc. The Animated Adventures certainly have their charm and are remembered fondly by Star Trek aficionados.

So while the cartoon series as a whole isn't necessarily considered canon, certain points from it (such as the aforementioned Robert April and Spock's mother's surname) have become canon (and thus their inclusion in the official database). :cool:

-G

Remove ads