Which Middle Earth RPG?

Which of the following Middle Earth RPGs should I pick up and why?

• The One Ring 1st Edition (Cubicle 7)

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • The One Ring 2nd Edition (Free League)

Votes: 29 63.0%
  • Adventures in Middle Earth (Cubicle 7)

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying (Free League)

Votes: 6 13.0%

• Poll closed .

TheSword

Legend
I can’t speak to the other three versions because I’ve only read parts and not played them so I’ve not cast my vote on the basis of gameplay. Other than to say we really enjoyed playing Adventures in Middle Earth. It’s the product line that really got me hooked on their work.

However whichever version you go with it’s worth picking up the C7 products (they regularly do humble bundles) because their adventures and supplements are great and the art across the whole line is absolutely stunning.

I found them very good at writing Tolkein adjacent material that made you feel relevant to the world Tolkein created without feeling like bit players in the main story. Check it out. Otherwise I echo the suggestion to get the current one.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I disagree. I regard TOR 2e as superior to the previous incarnations in every aspect. For me they cleaned up the game. They made it better.

I will agree they "cleaned it up". 1st edition was poorly organized and had wonky rules that were hard to understand. But it was also a great game.

2nd edition is easy to understand. And bland.

Remove ads