Which Middle Earth RPG?

Which of the following Middle Earth RPGs should I pick up and why?

• The One Ring 1st Edition (Cubicle 7)

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • The One Ring 2nd Edition (Free League)

Votes: 29 63.0%
  • Adventures in Middle Earth (Cubicle 7)

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying (Free League)

Votes: 6 13.0%

• Poll closed .

I have played a lot of all the ME games.
The 2nd TOR books are very beautiful and very easy to understand and use, but having played two campaigns it's missing something. PCs sit somewhere between the novels and the films.
The 1st TOR books are ugly to read and i disliked the artwork. The game felt more like the novels and slightly more risk to the PCs.
1st AIME we really did not get on with. I'm not sure why
Decipher LOTR RPG is also messy to understand, some rules are very odd but once you get into the swing it is very like the films ( the PCs are mighty).
MERP as a system is very good but doesn't really fit middle earth, too much PC magic. Some of the maps are great and the modules full of info and ideas.

That probably does not help!

aramis erak

Legend
I have played a lot of all the ME games.
You're missing several Middle Earth games.
MEAG being the most obvious, a fan retro of ICE's Lord of the Rings Adventure Game, which also isn't in your list.
Midnight
Against The Dark Lord
(a pseudoclone of MERP.)
the current C7 Lord of the Rings RPG.

The 2nd TOR books are very beautiful and very easy to understand and use, but having played two campaigns it's missing something. PCs sit somewhere between the novels and the films.
The 1st TOR books are ugly to read and i disliked the artwork. The game felt more like the novels and slightly more risk to the PCs.
1st AIME we really did not get on with. I'm not sure why
Decipher LOTR RPG is also messy to understand, some rules are very odd but once you get into the swing it is very like the films ( the PCs are mighty).
MERP as a system is very good but doesn't really fit middle earth, too much PC magic. Some of the maps are great and the modules full of info and ideas.

That probably does not help!
Decipher LotR is easier to grok by learning Decipher's Trek first....same system, slightly better presentation.

I'll note also: MERP is an excellent game - Rolemaster Lite - and very fun... but I agree it's very wrong for Middle Earth.

teitan

Legend
Everyone should read MERP for the critical hit/fumble tables, if nothing else. They were a thing of beauty.
MERP is great! Angus McBride covers, the sourcebooks were great. It was a playable, if very D&D-esque, Middle Earth game. Just not Tolkien's flavor of Middle Earth. Very gameable.

Remove ads