• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which Non-D&D TSR Game Would You Like to See WotC Revive?

Which TSR RPG Would You Want to see WotC Revive?

• Amazing Engine

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Boot Hill

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Buck Rogers XXVC

• Alternity

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • Gamma World

Votes: 44 48.9%
  • Marvel Super Hero RPG

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • Metamorphosis Alpha

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • Star Frontiers

Votes: 35 38.9%
  • Top Secret

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Star Wars

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Indiana Jones

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Conan

• Other

Votes: 6 6.7%

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm always befuddled by the extreme love for Gamma World some people have. I feel like it might be a generational or cultural thing. Everyone I've met who loves it is either like like 5-15 years older than me, or American (and of at least the same age as me), or both.

By the time I got to it, in like, 1990, it felt really cheesy and old-hat, and it seemed like a lot of other games did post-apocalyptic stuff in a less ludicrous and over-the-top way. The fact that fans tended to focus on the most OTT/ludicrous/joke-y elements when I got online in the mid-90s only reinforced the "Old Person Joke Game" impression I've always had of it. Probably terribly unfair to see it that way, but people sure talked about it like it was a giant joke.

It might be an American thing (sideeyes Wasteland and Fallout).

Could definitely be an age thing. Back in the 80s, the threat of nuclear apocalypse loomed heavily in the public consciousness. I grew up with movies like Mad Max and the followers like Cherry 2000, Solar Babies, Blood of Heroes, Steel Dawn, and plenty of others.

Gamma World definitely situated itself in North America, though the post-apocalyptic genre that inspired it was anything but. The aforementioned Mad Max was Australia, Riddley Walker (which is a challenging but amazing read, if you haven't given it a shot) is set in England. As are Oakley's Henry's Quest and the devastating When the Wind Blows.

I'm always befuddled by the extreme love for Gamma World some people have. I feel like it might be a generational or cultural thing. Everyone I've met who loves it is either like like 5-15 years older than me, or American (and of at least the same age as me), or both.

By the time I got to it, in like, 1990, it felt really cheesy and old-hat, and it seemed like a lot of other games did post-apocalyptic stuff in a less ludicrous and over-the-top way. The fact that fans tended to focus on the most OTT/ludicrous/joke-y elements when I got online in the mid-90s only reinforced the "Old Person Joke Game" impression I've always had of it. Probably terribly unfair to see it that way, but people sure talked about it like it was a giant joke.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Could definitely be an age thing. Back in the 80s, the threat of nuclear apocalypse loomed heavily in the public consciousness. I grew up with movies like Mad Max and the followers like Cherry 2000, Solar Babies, Blood of Heroes, Steel Dawn, and plenty of others.

Gamma World definitely situated itself in North America, though the post-apocalyptic genre that inspired it was anything but. The aforementioned Mad Max was Australia, Riddley Walker (which is a challenging but amazing read, if you haven't given it a shot) is set in England. As are Oakley's Henry's Quest and the devastating When the Wind Blows.
OMG I had not thought of Cherry 2000 in AGES. I'll have to see if I can find it streaming anywhere. My fave list includes Cyborg, Hell Comes to Frogtown, Six String Samurai, MM Beyond Thunderdome and Reign of Fire. As you can see, I like my PA gonzo.

PA is my favorite gaming genre because it can encompass anything, from epic questing fantasy to gritty sci fi, and mix them up as much or as little as one likes. It is a massive idea blender and begs you to Say Yes. As such I really dislike serious, realistic PA games like Twilight 2000.

Stormonu

Legend
Alternity, with the caveat they do world books for
  • Boot Hill
  • Boot Hill: Back from the Grave
  • Gamma World
  • Gamma World: Knights of the Moon
  • Metamorphosis Alpha
  • Star Frontiers
  • Buck Rogers
  • Star Drive
  • Dark Matter
  • Modern
  • Urban Arcana
  • Indiana Jones
  • Captain of Tomorrow

and I'd love to see Alternity: The Matrix (that was the campaign I did with Alternity)

As for Star Wars, I'll keep my WEG version. Though I'd like to see the Marvel FASERIP system brought back.

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
Star wars most of all please! I so want to do a star wars campaign, but even though the ffg version is a well produced book, it doesn't suit our group, saga probably would but it's next to impossible to get hard copy, and all the other versions seem like they'd need a ton of houserules to get right

I'd just love a good pick up and play version

Last I checked, it wasn't streaming on any of the major platforms...which is why, ahem, I bought it on Blu-Ray. It's a trip. The movie is sooooo 80s (not that that's a bad thing). There's even a cameo by Laurence Fishburne in one of his earliest roles.

Cyborg! And one of the first movies my wife and I went to see together was Reign of Fire.

Twilight 2000 is very, very grim. As written, it's a game about running out of food and ammo, getting radiation sickness, and dying. I definitely prefer my post-apocalyptic gaming to be on the less serious side as well.

OMG I had not thought of Cherry 2000 in AGES. I'll have to see if I can find it streaming anywhere. My fave list includes Cyborg, Hell Comes to Frogtown, Six String Samurai, MM Beyond Thunderdome and Reign of Fire. As you can see, I like my PA gonzo.

PA is my favorite gaming genre because it can encompass anything, from epic questing fantasy to gritty sci fi, and mix them up as much or as little as one likes. It is a massive idea blender and begs you to Say Yes. As such I really dislike serious, realistic PA games like Twilight 2000.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

But a lot of the pulp fiction that dipped inyo the Apocalyptic, like Sterling Lanier or Walter M. Miller, Jr. was quite definitely set in North America after the Collapse. That's what Gamma World was channeling.

Back in the 80s, the threat of nuclear apocalypse loomed heavily in the public consciousness.

Yeah, I'm old enough that I was obsessed with the threat of nuclear war, I spent like 8-10 constantly reading text books on it, knowing I was in the blast radius for the MIRV-ring that would take out London and so on. But it never seemed like it would lead to the "wacky fun timez" which was how everyone talked about Gamma World.

As a Brit I am depressingly familiar with When the Wind Blows. It's like kind of the polar opposite of the vibe I always got from Gamma World fans though, which was much more like "Yo dudes I'm a giant plant that eats people and it's awesome". Twilight 2000 was more the vibe I always envisioned for actual nuclear war.

Remove ads