• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which Non-D&D TSR Game Would You Like to See WotC Revive?

Which TSR RPG Would You Want to see WotC Revive?

• Amazing Engine

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Boot Hill

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Buck Rogers XXVC

• Alternity

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • Gamma World

Votes: 44 48.9%
  • Marvel Super Hero RPG

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • Metamorphosis Alpha

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • Star Frontiers

Votes: 35 38.9%
  • Top Secret

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Star Wars

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Indiana Jones

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Conan

• Other

Votes: 6 6.7%

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, I'm old enough that I was obsessed with the threat of nuclear war, I spent like 8-10 constantly reading text books on it, knowing I was in the blast radius for the MIRV-ring that would take out London and so on. But it never seemed like it would lead to the "wacky fun timez" which was how everyone talked about Gamma World.

As a Brit I am depressingly familiar with When the Wind Blows. It's like kind of the polar opposite of the vibe I always got from Gamma World fans though, which was much more like "Yo dudes I'm a giant plant that eats people and it's awesome".

People have different ways with coping, and with my rural Wisconsin roots Gamma World seems very culturally grounded.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, I'm old enough that I was obsessed with the threat of nuclear war, I spent like 8-10 constantly reading text books on it, knowing I was in the blast radius for the MIRV-ring that would take out London and so on. But it never seemed like it would lead to the "wacky fun timez" which was how everyone talked about Gamma World.

As a Brit I am depressingly familiar with When the Wind Blows. It's like kind of the polar opposite of the vibe I always got from Gamma World fans though, which was much more like "Yo dudes I'm a giant plant that eats people and it's awesome".

People have different ways with coping, and with my rural Wisconsin roots Gamma World seems very culturally grounded.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter

As a Brit I am depressingly familiar with When the Wind Blows. It's like kind of the polar opposite of the vibe I always got from Gamma World fans though, which was much more like "Yo dudes I'm a giant plant that eats people and it's awesome". Twilight 2000 was more the vibe I always envisioned for actual nuclear war.
It was never about what the aftermath might actually be like for me, but what kinds of adventures you might have. The kitchen sink gonzo settings/games provide a broader pallette than the hyper realistic stuff. My own preferences are closer to Fallout to Gamma World as far as setting details go -- closer to the actual apocalypse so the pre apocalyptic days are more history than myth -- but I like having a bag that includes mutants and super tech and psionics.

Hiero's Journey is absolutely the ur-text for Gamma World. You could literally slap the Gamma World logo on the cover and it would make total sense. But back in the day, you can bet that my Gamma World players all wanted V8 Interceptors.

But a lot of the pulp fiction that dipped inyo the Apocalyptic, like Sterling Lanier or Walter M. Miller, Jr. was quite definitely set in North America after the Collapse. That's what Gamma World was channeling.

When the Wind Blows, yeah. My wife and I were both crying when that movie finished. The Day After is another movie that is anything but "wacky post-nuclear funtimes." Twilight 2000 pretty much nails the dismal desperation that would follow actual nuclear apocalypse.

As a Brit I am depressingly familiar with When the Wind Blows. It's like kind of the polar opposite of the vibe I always got from Gamma World fans though, which was much more like "Yo dudes I'm a giant plant that eats people and it's awesome". Twilight 2000 was more the vibe I always envisioned for actual nuclear war.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I am going to vote for bringing Alternity back, close to the original game-- with some new material, and incorporating the more popular house rules-- and its main settings: Star•Drive, Dark•Matter, and Gamma World (use the Alternity rules, but include the mutant animals and plants from Dragon). Plus Boot Hill and Star Frontiers, and Buck Rogers XXVc if possible.

Then, the Alternity core rules would have conversion notes for 5e, and each of the Alternity settings would have a more specific appendix for using it with 5e. (Like, for turning Boot Hill into a "Weird West".) Not that I would want to do this... but it would make the books more useful to more people, which will make them more useful to me.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
It's quite good, especially in the Advanced version...
I strongly prefer, however, the much more narrativist Marvel Heroic RP, from MWP...
4C system is a pseudoclone of MSH.
I was far too indoctrinated in MSH back in my nerdy youth to ever accept the style they used in Marvel Heroic. Too much like Fate to me. Not a fan of aspects in game design in general. FASERIP forever!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads