D&D 5E Which of these possible endings do you prefer to see in every published adventure *as written*?

Which of these endgames do you like to see in every WoTC 5E adventure as written? [multiple choice]

Jolly Ruby

Privateer
concerning itself with moral correctness
Asking for clarification: I know that moral correctness is subjective, but what do you mean by "concerning itself"? I wouldn't classify the example you gave, Mazfroth's Mighty Digressions, as "concerning itself with moral correctness". It says that killing everybody without dialogue is a "bloodbath", but it provides guidance in how your party can complete the adventure without losing anything if they choose that route. There's no downside if you chose the "bad ending".

(PS: It's a genuine doubt, but I'm afraid it sounds adversarial. I'm sorry if it sounds like that, English is not my first language)

Scribe

Legend
Not sure if I understand the options but...

I want lots of options. I want choices made throughout to have consequence, and I certainly dont want whatever passes for 'modern sensibilities' of morality to be the only 'correct' option.

Emoshin

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Asking for clarification: I know that moral correctness is subjective, but what do you mean by "concerning itself"? I wouldn't classify the example you gave, Mazfroth's Mighty Digressions, as "concerning itself with moral correctness". It says that killing everybody without dialogue is a "bloodbath", but it provides guidance in how your party can complete the adventure without losing anything if they choose that route. There's no downside if you chose the "bad ending".

(PS: It's a genuine doubt, but I'm afraid it sounds adversarial. I'm sorry if it sounds like that, English is not my first language)
Hi Jolly!

Thank you and no worries!

It's been a while, so my recollection is far from perfect here. From what I remember

- Mazfroth's Mighty Digressions was controversial at the time it was released for choosing to apply those words (when it could have been more neutral)

- the antagonists had a scheme that arguably was causing harm or death to innocent unaware people, and could be considered guilty of murder (at worse) or involuntary manslaughter at best (a modern legal term, but I'm just paraphrasing what I remember)

- therefore, for some folks, it sounded like the author or adventure was moralizing players/PCs who chose to use the violent option for whatever reason

- in context, other adventure modules have generally refrained from calling out PC violence against NPCs who cause harm to innocents

- D&D is generally a very violent genre, but every gaming table is accepted to find its moral path, so why was this particular adventure cherrypicking this violent option and calling out it that way whereas no or few other adventure have done so?

I hope that makes sense. I did not fully research this when I wrote the OP, just going by memory!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
This whole thing is weird to me. If anyone who writes an adventure runs adventures, they know the players will inevitably do something you'll never see coming, no matter how many times it's playtested. ("Wait, how did you end up owning a bakery in Menzoberranzan again?") Some loose ideas about the plans the NPCs have and how the world might change based on one or more NPCs plots being foiled is all that really makes sense.

"This is the one true ending" or even "here are the two or three ways this adventure can end" are unrealistic, to put it mildly.

Emoshin

This whole thing is weird to me. If anyone who writes an adventure runs adventures, they know the players will inevitably do something you'll never see coming, no matter how many times it's playtested. ("Wait, how did you end up owning a bakery in Menzoberranzan again?") Some loose ideas about the plans the NPCs have and how the world might change based on one or more NPCs plots being foiled, is all that really makes sense.

"This is the one true ending" or even "here are the two or three ways this adventure can end" are unrealistic, to put it mildly.
Hi Whizbang Dustyboots, don't think of it as "one true ending"

Suggested endings ("here are the two or three ways this adventure can end") is closer to it.

Just think of some WoTC 5E published adventures that have provided some if-then scenarios, especially at the end. I don't know if all of them do it, but I know some definitely do I think some of them do? So just roll with that. Of course, if it does not jive with you, don't select the option!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Hi Whizbang Dustyboots, don't think of it as "one true ending"

Suggested endings ("here are the two or three ways this adventure can end") is closer to it.

Just think of some WoTC 5E published adventures that have provided some if-then scenarios, especially at the end. I don't know if all of them do it, but I know some definitely do I think some of them do? So just roll with that. Of course, if it does not jive with you, don't select the option!
I think WotC is being weird here, not this poll. ;)

No adventure survives contact with the players and it's weird to me that any adventure publisher would burn up word count on writing out specific endings.

Emoshin

I think WotC is being weird here, not this poll. ;)

No adventure survives contact with the players and it's weird to me that any adventure publisher would burn up word count on writing out specific endings.

I don't know for sure what is "normal" here across the 5E community, that's why I started the poll! The poll is not scientific, but hopefully directional

ad_hoc

(they/them)
We have a rule that all the PCs are good.

I don't have an interest in an adventure that is a morality test.

I think morality is important but I don't want to play the trolley problem.

I want endings that have various levels of achievement.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Hmmm... I'd LIKE for adventures to have a few possible endings (regardless of morals) AND I prefer good, heroic characters (but I am not stuck on that ALL the time. Sometimes I like to play or DM for morally gray or even evil characters). BUT I don't particularly care either way, because I do (and probably would regardless of what's included in a written adventure) make up my own endings/middles that tweak the adventure toward whatever style my group(s) is currently playing. Does that make sense?

Remove ads