Which of these six is the best H.P. Lovecraft story?

Which of these six would you choose?

• The Call of Cthulhu

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • At the Mountains of Madness

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • The Shadow Over Innsmouth

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • The Nameless City

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • The Dunwich Horror

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • The Dreams in the Witch House

Votes: 6 7.4%

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I highly, highly recommend the BBC podcast called the Lovecraft Investigations. They update The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, the Whisperer in Darkness, and Shadows over Innsmouth and connect them under the premise of being a true crime podcast. It's well acted, it's really solid.

And since it's the BBC, they definitely spent some coin on it. BBC Radio 4 - The Lovecraft Investigations
I finally started listening to this and you're right, it's excellent. Thanks for the recommendation.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
And now this podcast, which has been dormant for years, has had a brand new episode that sort of ignores the previous last few episodes and suddenly wraps things up.

It smacks of "we don't have enough budget for a new season, but we do have enough money to put a button in it."

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
And now this podcast, which has been dormant for years, has had a brand new episode that sort of ignores the previous last few episodes and suddenly wraps things up.

It smacks of "we don't have enough budget for a new season, but we do have enough money to put a button in it."
Well, I suppose better than just vanishing without any resolution.

Reynard

Legend
At the Mountains of Madness is one of the most boring travelogues I have ever read. I don't know why it is so beloved.

The best written HPL story, IMO, is Herbert West, Reanimator, but unfortunately it is also the most blatantly racist (and that is saying something).

At the Mountains of Madness is one of the most boring travelogues I have ever read. I don't know why it is so beloved.

The best written HPL story, IMO, is Herbert West, Reanimator, but unfortunately it is also the most blatantly racist (and that is saying something).

What about the one about the sentient street that destroys itself because slavic people started moving in?

MGibster

Legend
What about the one about the sentient street that destroys itself because slavic people started moving in?
For me, I'm going with Reanimator. There was a cat whose name is a racial epithet but that wasn't the worst part. The worst part was Lovecraft's description of a black boxer. It's just so hateful and painful to read. And I say that as someone who regards Reanimator as one of his best works.

If you want to have a "how racist can you get" contest, the winning Lovecraft entry is probably "On the Creation of [Black People]".

OTOH, such contests are of little value to the topic of the thread. He was and is racist. It is known and acknowledged. Hopefully, discussion can move on from there.

1) It reads as hard science fiction;
2) Even now, the Antarctic remains relatively mysterious and unknown;
3) One of the first examples of alien vivisection;
4) Despite their weird appearance the aliens are remarkably human-like;
5) Down to being the architects of their own destruction;
6) Giant blind cave penguins are cool and believable;
7) more happens than in Ahsoka.

1) It reads as hard science fiction;
2) Even now, the Antarctic remains relatively mysterious and unknown;
3) One of the first examples of alien vivisection;
4) Despite their weird appearance the aliens are remarkably human-like;
5) Down to being the architects of their own destruction;
6) Giant blind cave penguins are cool and believable;
7) more happens than in Ahsoka.
I think it is great. With Lovecraft sometimes I am not there for a story. I am there for an experience. Some of his stories have bored me, but this wasn’t one of them.

Remove ads