• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which out-of-print RPGs do you still play?

Shemeska

Adventurer
While I don't know if it's OOP or not (since FASA is kaput):

Earthdawn.

Does anyone still play this? I've been picking up the older books purely for the tie ins to Shadowrun (which I still play, but it's not OOP).

Between Earthdawn, Dark Sun and above it all, Planescape... I look at the settings that went out of print before I started gaming in 3e and I realize just how much better some of the older material was. Why couldn't I have started gaming years earlier... arg.

Sledge

First Post
Shemeska said:
Earthdawn.
Does anyone still play this? I've been picking up the older books purely for the tie ins to Shadowrun (which I still play, but it's not OOP).

While FANPRO picked up the licensing to Classic BattleTech and Shadowrun, Earthdawn had been retired a few years before the end of FASA. However the rules set was published on CD and given away at various venues for free.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Runequest, yeah baby!

For my money 2nd edition runequest is the best RPG system I've ever used. Fantastic fun, great mix of realism and playability. I produced a sci-fi game using RQ rules, I did an Empire of the Petal Throne conversion, a Dark Sun conversion (I'll probably do an Eberron conversion too :))

Cheers

Capellan

Explorer
Personally, I'm glad this was only OOP games we've played. OOP games I own is a rather scary list :)

Though in the next few months, I actually plan to sit down and make a concerted effort to play a bunch of games I own but have never used. So I might be expanding my list, in any case ...

tburdett

Explorer
We play Star Wars 2nd Edition Revised by WEG every other week. The only other OOP games that I remember fondly enough to want to play again regularly are Dark Conspiracy, Twilight 2000, and Runequest.

Am I the only one who doesn't keep absolutely all of their old/obsolete/no longer used gaming stuff? If I don't use it, I get rid of it to make room for what I am using. No boxes and boxes of stuff collecting dust in an attic or basement for me.

Staffan

Legend
MrFilthyIke said:
Space 1889
Ars Magica
Ars Magica is still being published AFAIK (Atlas is working on a 5th ed - that's one reason why they released the PDF of 4th for free), and I think someone rereleased the old Space 1889 a year or two back (I think they were called Helios or something).
Shemeska said:

Earthdawn.
Earthdawn is currently being published in two versions: Earthdawn 2nd ed from Living Room Games, and Earthdawn Classic by Redbrick Games or something like that.

As for me, I'm not running any OOP games at the moment. I did try a TORG campaign last summer, but the campaign kinda got out of hand. Another player in my gaming group runs a campaign in the 1989 edition of Mutant, a Swedish RPG. The 1989 edition is pretty much a cyberpunk RPG, but with mutants and robots about - other editions of the game have been much more post-apocalyptic (along the lines of Gamma World).

Remove ads