Which PHB race doesn't fit into YOUR fantasy campaign?

Which PHB race doesn't fit into YOUR fantasy campaign?

• Human

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Dwarf

Votes: 25 9.7%
  • Elf

Votes: 38 14.7%
  • Gnome

Votes: 104 40.3%
  • Half-elf

Votes: 49 19.0%
  • Half-orc

Votes: 71 27.5%
  • Halfling

Votes: 65 25.2%
  • I allow all the PHB races.

Votes: 95 36.8%

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Tiefling said:
I can't believe this! I love gnomes! Why is it the they have to have a niche?

Because the player needs a context for his or her charcter. Otherwise you just have a bunch of stat modifiers. And I think humans should have the same thing. Are they from the poor-beseiged nation, the rich-foppish nation, or the huge empire? One of the good things about Greyhawk was that it noted that the players would need this information to develop three dimensional characters.

At least that's the way I feel.

You say you like gnomes. Bueno! The last thing I would do is interfere with someone else's fun(*). But part of my fun comes from knowing how my character fits into the game world. And, as a GM, I don't have much use for that particular race. Less is sometimes more and rather than fill a setting with "stuff" I edited the selection down. Perhaps you think this was a bad choice. Perhaps you think I should go back and re-work the "gnecromancer" conecept into my world. Perhaps you think I'm just a random stooge. Regardless, we each have our own choices to make and this was mine.

Happy gaming!

Biggus Geekus

* Actually the last thing I would really do is dive into a mountian of fire ants, but I'm sure you see what I mean.

Turlogh

Explorer
I voted Half orcs and gnomes but in reality I would not stop a player from playing any race from the PHB (but I might advise against).

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Now that I think about it, I don't have much use for Half-Orcs either.

To clarify, I've never "disallowed" any race and probably never would disallow one of the Core PC races. Gnomes have just never been a part of my campaigns for two reasons: 1) I've never had a player want to play a gnome, and b) I've never wanted to play one as a DM.

EDIT: Quick note to Piratecat who closed two other non-sense polls dealing with me and my polls: I totally understand. I won't post any more threads like that.

Last edited:

Tewligan

First Post
In the past, I've allowed all the races. I think that the next time I fire up a campaign, however, there will be no such thing as gnomes. In the first couple of editions, they were crappy dwarf knock-offs that I didn't like. Now that they're crappy halfling knock-offs, I dislike them just as much. Go plague someone else's game, you lampreys of the game race world!

Jarval

Explorer
All but one of my campagins have gnomes in abundance. OTOH one of my settings doesn't have dwarves or halflings, another doesn't have elves, so there's quite a lot of variation.

I've never understood the anti-gnome feeling that a lot of people seem to have.

Bob Aberton

First Post
Why the anger?? WHY??

*sniff* nobody likes the gnomes...poor little buggers...
Seriously, Gnomes in my world have a niche as a magical race of pranksters/mischeivious ppl w/big noses.

One reason they might have a niche in my world is that their are no halflings (too Tolkienesque), so they are "those little short buggers" that bear a frightening resemblance to mushrooms...

Aeolius

Adventurer
I don't allow any of the "standard" PH races in my current campaign. They simply are not suited for an adventure set primarily underwater. Yes, one could use a human with a magic item, but that's hardly standard.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
I love Gnomes, luv 'em I say.

In my current campaign there are no Elves, Halflings (althought I'm toying with the idea of using their stats for Ratlings), Dwarves or the half-breeds.

I do use Half-Orc stats though for normal orcs.

In my current campaign, there are only Humans, Gnomes and Orcs.

Psion

Adventurer
Rav said:
Gnomes will "win" this poll by a landslide. There was a similar poll three weeks ago (give or take a week)

Indeed, no niche.

Feh. Gnomes have a niche. It's just intruded upon by halflings. I say boot the halflings; gnomes actually have some distinctiveness that the halflings don't.

Remove ads