Which PHBII classes would you adopt?

Which PHB II classes would you allow in your campaign?

• Beguiler

Votes: 129 76.3%
  • Dragon Shaman

Votes: 97 57.4%
  • Duskblade

Votes: 129 76.3%
  • Knight

Votes: 153 90.5%

Psion

Adventurer
Generally speaking, the classes are TOO STINKING SPECIALIZED to be base classes AFAIAC. But, given that, the beguiler and the knight are the most likely candidates if a player REALLY wanted to play one.

Felon

First Post
Kurotowa said:
Those numbers assume the party member is being hit exactly once each round. At 5th level, the damage will often vary from 0 to 12, as an attacker either misses or hits with all three of its natural attacks. Is that strong? Well, it's weaker than Fire Shield, and I've never seen that spell get much use. Generally if you're being hit three times and doing 12 damage back, you're coming off far the worse for the exchange.

Well, that assumes you're standing around like a schmuck not trying to hit back. Otherwise, the extra damage is ouch sauce. You don't see fire shield cast often because it takes an action to cast and uses up a 4th-level spell. The auras are permanent and cost-free.

Kurotowa

Legend
Felon said:
Well, that assumes you're standing around like a schmuck not trying to hit back. Otherwise, the extra damage is ouch sauce. You don't see fire shield cast often because it takes an action to cast and uses up a 4th-level spell. The auras are permanent and cost-free.

If by "cost-free" you mean "occupying the Shaman's main class feature," then you might see it that way. The Shaman, as I see it, has two roles. Backup warrior with a breath weapon, and party buffing with an aura. And every round the Shaman has the Energy Shield up is a round he isn't adding to the party's melee damage or granting them DR or Fast Healing. Yes, putting up the Energy Shield doesn't expend resources. But it does consume a major portion of the Shaman's contribution to the encounter. I actually think it's one of the weaker auras in most situations.

Felon

First Post
Kurotowa said:
And every round the Shaman has the Energy Shield up is a round he isn't adding to the party's melee damage or granting them DR or Fast Healing. Yes, putting up the Energy Shield doesn't expend resources. But it does consume a major portion of the Shaman's contribution to the encounter. I actually think it's one of the weaker auras in most situations.

Well, you're probably right...there's much more broken stuff he could be doing. :cool:

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
People who complain about class X adding factor Y to a party's combat capability nearly always neglect to consider that the presence of class X is exclusive of class Z.

Take your "standard" 4-character party. Who is the dragon shaman replacing? What contribution would that character make to the party in combat that the dragon shaman's abilities are being exchanged for?

Dealing 6 points of damage per round to any enemy that attacks a party member, plus everything else the dragon shaman can do, doesn't sound "broken" compared to, say, the presence of a fighter or wizard or rogue or cleric or . . .

Psion

Adventurer
Um, yeah. I'd like to change my answer on beguiler. I think they get too much. Regretable, really, because I do like that it encourage playing a trickery mage over a blaster mage. But it appears they get access to all their spells, cast as many as a sorcerer, in addition to having a healthy skill selection and a suite of special abilities.

delericho

Legend
I voted for all except the Dragon Shaman.

Although I'm concerned that, in light of the Beguiler and the Warmage, the Sorcerer is becoming really redundant (and I say that despite the fact that I really like the Beguiler class).

Remove ads