• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which PHBII classes would you adopt?

Which PHB II classes would you allow in your campaign?

• Beguiler

Votes: 129 76.3%
  • Dragon Shaman

Votes: 97 57.4%
  • Duskblade

Votes: 129 76.3%
  • Knight

Votes: 153 90.5%

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
hong said:
That might be why people are allowing it in their games. ;)
True.

Or, possibly because you don't have to buy the book to use the class (since it's on the WotC site). Or, possibly because it's been the most hyped-up class (which is also due to it being on the WotC site and thusly being released earlier).

I don't think the other classes are overpowered at all, though. The Dragon Shaman strikes me as a tad weak at mid-high levels.

Bront

The man with the probe
Jdvn1 said:
I'm surprised the Knight is leading. It's, arguably, the weakest class in the book.
I think it fits a role people have been looking for, and I'd be supprised if it was realy that weak once it was played out.

I'm fairly sold on the Knight and the Beguiler (probably my top 2 to play), a little weary on the Duskblade, and not sure on the Dragon Shamen. I need to actualy buy the book though and read to make a real decision.

Thanee

First Post
Voted for Beguiler and Duskblade (altho, the names are dumb ;)), but I would probably allow any of them.

I don't really like the MMORPG-Knight, it's just a stupid class design IMHO.
They should have called it 'Tank' not Knight.

The Dragon Shaman, I know too little about. Sounds kinda weird.

Bye
Thanee

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Bront said:
I think it fits a role people have been looking for, and I'd be supprised if it was realy that weak once it was played out.
I think the name of the class fits a role people have been looking for. That's it. Maybe that's all people wanted.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I voted for Duskblade and Knight because I like the mechanics for both of those and could see them being of value in the game. I've not looked at the Beguiler in detail, but I don't think I'm particular interested in seeing that kind of class (how would they fare at 16th level when mindblank becomes common, out of interest?).

I dislike the dragon shaman conceptually and game-mechanics wise. I don't want to see any more miscellaneous numbers slowing down combat even further!

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I only voted for the knight, but really, I'd allow any of them. The knight is the only class I'd go out of my way to encourage for a PC. The others are just not my cup of tea.

drothgery

First Post
I voted for all of them except the Dragon Shaman before my copy of PHB II showed up. Having reviewed the rules, I'm sticking with my opinion. I don't think it's unbalanced class, just a little bit wonky flavor-wise for a standard game.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Pseudonym said:
The dragon shaman I'm still undecided about; not so much because of anything inherent in the class mechanics, but because I can't see it fitting in to my vision of Eberron; aside from perhaps related to the Argoneessen tribes, but I find them problematic anyway.
Have you considered associating them with the draconist sect of the Sovereign Host faith?

Felon

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
I think the name of the class fits a role people have been looking for. That's it. Maybe that's all people wanted.

Let's see.

Mounted noble warrior role? Check.

Protector of the weak role? Check.

Indomitable never-say-die honorable hero role? Check.

Dunno what role folks are looking for, but it seems to cover all the basics (which is all one can really ask of a base class).

Felon

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
I'm surprised the Knight is leading. It's, arguably, the weakest class in the book.

Why would that have an unfavorable bearing on its place in the poll? I suspect the most overpowered classes would be the least likely for a DM to adopt.

Moreover, I'd also wager that a lot of folks are of the opinion that base classes should exist for the sake of representing traditional fantasy archetypes, not as a playground for designers to experiment with new class feature combinations. Only one out of the four is more the former than the latter.

Remove ads