• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which WotC settings in 4th Edition?

Which settings should WotC support?

drothgery

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Depends what you mean by "support."

If you mean "several campaign-specific books, followed by multiple smaller books and/or regular features on DDI," then I'd say just Eberron, FR, and maybe one new one.

If you mean "a single hardcover book (or even one large book with multiple settings), followed by occasional DDI articles," then I'd have to say almost all of them.

Listen to the undead rodent on this one (I don't really care a lot about FR, but it's too popular to ditch; I'll grab the player's guide purely to raid for mechanics).

lexoanvil

First Post
ainatan said:
There is an option missing: Other.
I'd vote other, for Middle-earth. It will never happen, but dreaming costs nothing.
unlikely considering the have LOTR role playing game ATM. and many classes would lose alot in translation. but by your posts you alredy know most of this.

GVDammerung

First Post
Any and every setting should be updated for 4e _EXCEPT_ for Greyhawk. Leave Greyhawk alone! 4e is anathema to all D&D that has come before with its new cosmology, its specific mechanics that imply setting, and its exemplar in FR as to what a setting must endure to be "updated." Leave Greyhawk alone or face the grognard wrath of the Greys!

NB - Anyone who says "Update GH to 4e" is no GH fan. GH fandom and 4e are incompatible because the 4e RAW and backstory are incompatible with what is known of Greyhawk. 4e is D&D in name only and a 4e GH would be GH in name only.

RandomCitizenX

First Post
GVDammerung said:
Any and every setting should be updated for 4e _EXCEPT_ for Greyhawk. Leave Greyhawk alone! 4e is anathema to all D&D that has come before with its new cosmology, its specific mechanics that imply setting, and its exemplar in FR as to what a setting must endure to be "updated." Leave Greyhawk alone or face the grognard wrath of the Greys!.

This sentiment confuses me every time I see it come up. If they would update GH to 4th edition why would the cosmology built into PoL and the PHB cause them to give up the great wheel? Eberron's cosmology was nothing like the default cosmology presented in 3rd edition PHB.

jRocket

First Post
My vote goes to Dragonlance. Some of my best gaming moments have been in that setting, although I am not sure how well it would translate to 4e given the systems emphasis on pulp action. Regardless, Dragonlance seems very 'retro' to me and would be more likely to attract all of those 1st and 2nd edition players.(all few dozen of them :p)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
GVDammerung said:
Any and every setting should be updated for 4e _EXCEPT_ for Greyhawk. Leave Greyhawk alone! 4e is anathema to all D&D that has come before with its new cosmology, its specific mechanics that imply setting, and its exemplar in FR as to what a setting must endure to be "updated." Leave Greyhawk alone or face the grognard wrath of the Greys!

NB - Anyone who says "Update GH to 4e" is no GH fan. GH fandom and 4e are incompatible because the 4e RAW and backstory are incompatible with what is known of Greyhawk. 4e is D&D in name only and a 4e GH would be GH in name only.
That's funny. I saw the exact same sentiments regarding 2e and 3e Greyhawk. I'm curious if people think that leaving a setting fallow and not updating it is actually best.

In the mean time, GVDammerung, please check out my post here. I'm interested in your opinion, but I'm a little concerned about what's coming across as a multi-thread rant.

Green Knight

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Depends what you mean by "support."

If you mean "several campaign-specific books, followed by multiple smaller books and/or regular features on DDI," then I'd say just Eberron, FR, and maybe one new one.

If you mean "a single hardcover book (or even one large book with multiple settings), followed by occasional DDI articles," then I'd have to say almost all of them.

I gotta say, even if WotC took the latter tack, I'd be MORE then satisfied when it came to Ravenloft. I just want to see it converted to 4th edition. Further support through DDI beyond a campaign setting book would be fine as long as it got support. I just want a 4E campaign setting book.

A'koss

Explorer
I'd also love to see Greyhawk updated for 4e.

They just need to revamp the setting in order to better leverage it strengths. I've mentioned this before... GH has the most impressive array of uber-villains of any setting, those on the perifery just need be brought in, given their own territory, etc. Iggwilv, Graz'zt, Acererak, Iuz, Lord Robilar (sorta), Eclavdra, Lolth (remember, FR basically stole her), Fraz'Urb'Luu, Vecna, Kas, Tuerny the Merciless, St. Kargoth, Kyuss, Tharizdun, the Queen of Chaos & Miska the Wolf-Spider.

GH is also home to the most widely recognized adventure sites and artifacts in the game. Really, it just takes someone with a little vision to spice up the setting a little, forward the timeline to incorporate the new PHB races and weed out the dead wood and you're ready to go...

Remove ads