• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whips in General and the Lasher PrCl?

melkoriii

First Post
Im looking at taking some lvls in the Lasher PrCl from S&F and Im curious to how good that class is for things like Trip and Disarm.
Any Comments on your experience with the Lasher PrCl and using a Whip/ Whip dagger would be much appreciated.

Also I have some questions on how using a Whip affects Tripping and Disarming.

If I try and Trip a Human at my 15’ reach, How can he get a free trip on me if he cant reach me? Does using a Whip negate the free trip? (I would think so)

With Disarm it says that the opponent gets a AoO, How can he if he cant reach me? Does using a Whip negate the AoO? (I would think so)

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
I really like the Lasher prestige class. With just 4 levels of it, my Bard turned out to actually do well in combat.

Pax

Banned
Banned
melkoriii said:
Im looking at taking some lvls in the Lasher PrCl from S&F and Im curious to how good that class is for things like Trip and Disarm.
Any Comments on your experience with the Lasher PrCl and using a Whip/ Whip dagger would be much appreciated.

Essentially, the Lasher PrC makes whips and whip daggers fully viable as a primary weapon choice. In general, LAsher is one of the nicer PrC's out there, IMO; not toopowerful, but, it has plenty of that OTHER all-important thing: STYLE.

Also I have some questions on how using a Whip affects Tripping and Disarming.

If I try and Trip a Human at my 15’ reach, How can he get a free trip on me if he cant reach me? Does using a Whip negate the free trip? (I would think so)

No; your whip (or rather, the hurting end of it) is right there, presumably wrapped around his arm/leg, etc -- so he YANKS it. Per the Whip description, you can let go of the whip to avoid the effects of being counter-tripped ... but ifyou don't, you hang ON while it's yanked, and boldly go ... on your face.

With Disarm it says that the opponent gets a AoO, How can he if he cant reach me? Does using a Whip negate the AoO? (I would think so)

He may not beable to reach YOU, but (if he has the feat) he can attampt a Sunder attack on your weapon. Or, since your whip is right there, he can attempt to disarm YOU (possibly by just yanking the whip out of your hands).

Zarthon

Explorer
One of my players is a Fighter/Lasher, he sets up some really nice flanking positions with his 15ft reach, for the two rogues in the party.

With the Lashers Improved Trip, every attack starts with a Trip attempt(Touch Attack) and is followed up with a free attack at +4.

You gotta like that :)

JCLabelle

First Post
The Whip Lash ability is badly written as is. Yes, you can take AOO's with your whip as if it were a melee weapon. However that same ability does'nt state that you actually threaten foes with your whip. That might not be the intent of the author, but as written Whip Lash does'nt make you actually threaten opponents. Unless I've missed something in the Lasher's description that clearly states you threaten with the weapon, or is that from some Errata?

Xarlen

First Post
Close Combat
At first level, the Lasher can attack a foe in a threatened area with a whip or whip dagger without drawing an attack of opportunity.

Thanee

First Post
The lasher's threatened area is only 5', tho, so you cannot benefit from the 15' reach for AoO!

See: Whip Lash special ability.

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Remove ads