• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whirtlestaff's Wizards' Academy Revisited, IC01

Leif

Adventurer
Kerlan

You have stated that you will casts Color Spray. There's just one probem: THAT SPELL ISN'T IN YOUR SPELLBOOK, and you don't have any items listed that will permit you to cast it!

rossrebailey

First Post
On round 2, Max will move to U22 while drawing his wand. He will then touch the tip of his wand lightly to his right hand, speaking a word of command and causing a flicker of light to reflect against his palm. He then slips the wand in his breeches.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
rossrebailey said:
On round 2, Max will move to U22 while drawing his wand. He will then touch the tip of his wand lightly to his right hand and slip the wand in his breeches.
OOC: Am I missing something? Your Wand of Shocking Grasp, right? What do you intend for your stated action to accomplish?

rossrebailey

First Post
Leif said:
OOC: Am I missing something? Your Wand of Shocking Grasp, right? What do you intend for your stated action to accomplish?
OOC: Maybe I had the wrong idea, but I had planned that the wand would give me the ability to deliver a shocking grasp on my next melee touch. I plan to combine that with my unarmed monk flurry-of-blows attack to improve my chances of dealing damage. If that's not the way it works, I just proved myself a dumb monk who hurts himself ;) . Otherwise, perhaps a merciful DM would deem it improbable that a Whirlestaff student of high intelligence (unlike mine, for instance) wouldn't know what he was purchasing, or even maybe would rule that he found someone to sell him a modified version of the product that did what he wanted :D .

Leif

Adventurer
rossrebailey said:
OOC: Maybe I had the wrong idea, but I had planned that the wand would give me the ability to deliver a shocking grasp on my next melee touch. I plan to combine that with my unarmed monk flurry-of-blows attack to improve my chances of dealing damage. If that's not the way it works, I just proved myself a dumb monk who hurts himself ;) . Otherwise, perhaps a merciful DM would deem it improbable that a Whirlestaff student of high intelligence (unlike mine, for instance) wouldn't know what he was purchasing, or even maybe would rule that he found someone to sell him a modified version of the product that did what he wanted :D .
OOC: Well, I never heard of a wand working like that before, but your idea does fit with the spell, and it's a pretty cool idea, so I'll allow it! You might want to check with me first, next time, though...

Oh, and you need to modify your post to make it VERY CLEAR that you are spending a charge from your wand, as well. If you had made that clear I probably wouldn't have been confused. Using a wand takes more than just touching it, though. There is a command word involved, and stuff. You're post also doesn't mention a command word being spoken, but you can fix that in your edit. ;)

BONUS RULING: We'll say that when you use the wand in this way, you need to spend the spell energy you get from the wand within ONE HOUR, or the charge just dissipates. As you say, it must be a melee touch, just shaking someone's hand won't cause the damage, unless, of course, that's how you WANT it to work. In other words, the spell energy must be INTENTIONALLY discharged within one hour's time, or else it dissipates and is lost.

Last edited:

KerlanRayne

Explorer
Leif said:
You have stated that you will casts Color Spray. There's just one probem: THAT SPELL ISN'T IN YOUR SPELLBOOK, and you don't have any items listed that will permit you to cast it!
Look under his Beguiler list. He can cast any one of those spells at any time. And as for Shocking Grasp:
SRD said:
Holding the Charge
If you don’t discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the discharge of the spell (hold the charge) indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates. Alternatively, you may make a normal unarmed attack (or an attack with a natural weapon) while holding a charge. In this case, you aren’t considered armed and you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for the attack. (If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack.) If the attack hits, you deal normal damage for your unarmed attack or natural weapon and the spell discharges. If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge.

Leif

Adventurer
Ooc

KerlanRayne said:
Look under his Beguiler list. He can cast any one of those spells at any time.
Okay, my bad. I thought I looked at all your spell lists, but I guess not. Didn't know that was a Beguiler spell, anyway. Ooops.

Kerlan Rayne said:
And as for Shocking Grasp: (SRD quotation omitted)
Personally, I like my way better (post #146), because I don't think the spell should be subject to accidental discharge. But what says rossrebailey, since it is HIS character, after all? Hold the charge indefinitely, but it can be accidentally discharged [SRD rule], or no accidental discharge possible but the charge dissipates after one hour if not successfully discharged [Leif rule]?

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
ooc

Nice to know I've got not one, but TWO Rules Lawyers circling me like vultures! :D j/k

Also, Mr. DeWar brings up a good point in his email: The rule about "holding the charge" in PHB pertains to SPELLS not WANDS, so, while it should be basically the same, there is room in there for slight variations, I'd say.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads