• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

White Wolf: What's the Deal!?

JackSmithIV

First Post
For a long time, I've been an admirer of World of Darkness. I've always looked through and enjoyed reading their book. They are obviously a well-written series of books. I love their core game, their supplements (Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Changeling... all golden for me), and their approach to empowering roleplayers through the Storytelling system. I've always wanted to run their games, but something always irked me about WoD. I'd want to start a campaign, and then some nagging, discouraging feeling would get the best of me. And it wasn't untill I saw Wizards and 4th Edition D&D that I understand what that feeling is.

I'd like to say first off that I'm not attempting to needlessly espouse the wonders of WotC and 4th Edition. While I love the new system and the game, I understand how the community might be turned-off (and sometimes plainly offended) by some of their practices or short-comings. But there is one thing I have complete adoration for. And that's supporting their game and it's community.

I take a look at the Wizards site, and I see not only the game, but constant communication, updates, and content. Every other day we see new articles with classes, races, plot hooks, and adventures being published for the core game. We're seeing updates to errata, the early stages of online tools, and editorials. Just the previews for new products alone is hard to keep up with (and when the product releases, the next day we have previews for the next product). New class being released? Playtest rules! Event-only adventures get published? Wait a while and the PDF gets released for free download. Not only that, but the new rules, additions, and content are (in my opinion) excellent. Also this content, and at the same quality I'd expect of a fully published work.

But my point isn't to draw fanatical attention to WotC, and I'm really not up for drawing up another thread for that whole debate, so please only take it in context with my next point. Which is...

When I look at the White Wolf site, I'm amazed. Absolutely shocked! The website is clunky. I'm never sure whether I'm on the main page, or the online store. Or what game I'm looking at! The only thing that changes when you select a different game is some text in the toolbars, the color scheme and some of the news stories. It's poorly orginized, and that's just the main page. The writers are nowhere to be seen. And the community? I know there's the Camarilla, but it's poorly orginized, membership is down, activity is low, and the forums are dead. For one of the greatest LARP-book publishers in history, they can't even afford to release new supplements for Mind's Eye Theater in PDF because they can't sell enough product to pay the writer!!

The biggest shock to me was Hunter: the Vigil. Hunter is such an enormous power-house franchise for them. Video-games, a LARP book in their older edition... Hunter: the Reckoning was popular. Now, with the opportunity to make what could be the second-biggest game release of 2008 (4E being the obvious first), they could strike while the iron is hot! The opportunity to maybe bring some new players who feel unwilling to take on 4E D&D into World of Darkness. And when did Hunter release? This past week. But you'd never know from their site, because they havn't even announced the release in a news feed yet!

I don't understand what's going on here. World of Darkness is an incredible game. The books obviously sell well due to many years of a loyal fanbase, but where's the game!? I'm part of the gaming community in New York City, where I see all sorts of games being played. I see World of Darkness books fly off the shelves constantly at the gaming hub I frequent, but I never see a group playing the game or any orginized gaming going on for WoD at all. And I blame this on poor community-building skills.

Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not very old, or much of a veteran gamer. While I'm out in the community, and playing and running games constantly, I havn't been active and present for the whole history of WoD. Or even most of the recent history of WoD. Maybe I just don't see the picture, or am missing the great website. All I know is what I see...

Nothing. Nothing being played, nothing being done. No orginized play, no play at all. It's sad, cause I've played the game and loved it. But now I know why I never started a campaign. The WoD community is almost as lonely and dark as the world it takes place in.

I've been talking to my gaming store (a big-deal game shop in NYC) about getting some hunter games going in the store. They've handed me the Hunter: the Vigil sample adventure and quick-start booklets, so I'll see if I can get an event going. But not with any help from White Wolf. Don't see how that could happen.

Anyone have any insight as to what the hell is going on?

-IV

[EDIT: This post was way too long. Oh well... thanks for reading it if you took the time!]

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It's not a new phenomenon for White Wolf. Their old site was out of date, but at least it was usable and user-friendly. This thing they have now is pretty much crap except for buying stuff directly from the company.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Is Hunter fully released or simply have some early sells at Gen Con?

Personally I don't think the community is dead either, it simply doesn't exist on the White-Wolf site, it exists on fan-sites. There are tons of popular and big ones for instance Shadownessence is a big fan-site that always has hits.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Quick uninformed Explanation:

Wizards of the Coast has enough cash to hire an entire web department and are able to keep the department continually staffed. White Wolf doesn't and as a result their web department most likely consists of a skeleton crew.

Last edited:

JackSmithIV

First Post
Is Hunter fully released or simply have some early sells at Gen Con?

Personally I don't think the community is dead either, it simply doesn't exist on the White-Wolf site, it exists on fan-sites. There are tons of popular and big ones for instance Shadownessence is a big fan-site that always has hits.

I don't even mean just the community, though! Where are the publishers? I'll stray from WotC for a moment...

Keith Baker. Wrote a campaign setting, people buy it, people love it, people play it incessantly. But he's active! He's out there at confrences, he's writing articles for Dragon magazine, releasing new content (even though his game is up for complete edition revision). I see Eberron being played all the time. Sure, it's D&D, so it has a larger fanbase, but he's not just a writer. He's an active salesman and advocater of his product. One time, I personally wanted to send him an email and he got back to me in four hours.

Sure, White Wolf is probably making tons of money just how it is. But don't they want to see active playerbase and avid, available community? And doesn't the publisher itself want to take steps to promote awareness of their game? The store I mentioned before actually has a larger World of Darkness display than a D&D display, but you can guess which game is being played in droves. And it's easy to credit that to just the power the D&D franchise carries, but I don't buy it. I'm still trying to figure it out. I actually think it's overpaid writers. You give the writers huge advances and minimal royalties, they publish the book, then have no reason to promote it. The publisher prints it and the loyal fanbase buys it up, reads it, puts it down, and gets ready for the next product. Which would be fine if they were publishing novels.

-IV

JackSmithIV

First Post
Quick uninformed Explanation:

Wizards of the Coast has enough cash to hire an entire web department and are able to keep the department continually staffed. White Wolf doesn't and as a result their web department most likely consists of a skeleton crew.

I am also uninformed, and am speaking out of my rear-end when it comes to industry, costs of hiring a web-team, etc, but really...

How large does your team need to be so that you can have a news update that says "We just re-released our new powerhouse franchise. Just letting you know"

-IV

Fallen Seraph

First Post
You should check out the White-Wolf LJ, lots of new entries by the developers almost daily, with plenty of back and forth responses from the developers and the community.

As for people buying, reading and putting down the books. I think partially it is because well White-Wolf books in general are more fun to read so there is a higher percentage of people who buy the books just to read. Also, it is in my experience more common for games like WoD to be played in tight-knit groups while D&D is more easily accessible by new groups.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I am also uninformed, and am speaking out of my rear-end when it comes to industry, costs of hiring a web-team, etc, but really...

How large does your team need to be so that you can have a news update that says "We just re-released our new powerhouse franchise. Just letting you know"

-IV
It isn't really though. Hunter was one of the lesser lines in oWoD, hell it only came into being later on in the timeline of WoD. Now in nWoD, Hunter is simply a one-year limited line, like quite literally after one year all its books will be out.

Vampire, Mage and Werewolf are the big ones, with Mortal being the base for them all. The main Powerhouse is Vampire, hell it has two computer games already; Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption and Vampire: The Masquerade: Reqiuemn and later on the WoD MMO.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
You should check out the White-Wolf LJ, lots of new entries by the developers almost daily, with plenty of back and forth responses from the developers and the community.
That they do this on Live Journal, instead of their own site, is a pretty explicit admission that their site simply doesn't work for communicating with customers.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It isn't really though. Hunter was one of the lesser lines in oWoD, hell it only came into being later on in the timeline of WoD. Now in nWoD, Hunter is simply a one-year limited line, like quite literally after one year all its books will be out.
If they intend to sell it for money, they should do more to promote it to the people who come to their Web site and they should make even a token effort to let people who want to run events to publicize it do so.

If they're not interested in selling doing that much, why even produce it?

Remove ads