• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

White Wolf's secret Project involves Monte?

The_Old_one

First Post
I've just had a swift roam around the net to see if I can scrounge up any info, even started a thread on RPGnet to see if anyone has anything...no real confirmation yet outside of the WW lj.

However, I have had time to ponder, and I'm thinking this could be a very good thing for the industry. White Wolf are one of the big names in RPGs right? As are WoTC, obviously.
And now we have the new White Wolf game being written by the premier D20 designer in the industry, using the D&D house system...just as a whole bunch of new gamers get drawn into RPGs via the buy out of White Wolf?

I can see this being a very good thing indeed...although I do hope that Monte's book will be less of a conversion, and more a D20 're-imagining' of the WoD.

The_Old_one

First Post
Klaus said:
Wow. WoD d20 would certainly bridge a gap within the gaming community...

... well, probably not.

That's one heck of a gap though isn't it? Heck, half my group use the term 'White Wolfer' as an insult :eek: Still, who knows what we'll see.

All we need now is Rifts D20 :p

Crothian

First Post
I never did understand what the gab was about or why people cared. I'm on both sides playing both WhiteWolf and D&D games currently.

But even so I'm hoping this is not White Wolf d20. I don't feel that it is needed.

Cedric

First Post
According to the historical rumor mill, anyone who likes 3.x edition D&D should thank White Wolf.

WotC was big, having grown fat off of Magic: The Gathering, but they were good enough businessmen to know that M:TG would pass in time, sooner rather than later. So they began a friendship with White Wolf, to the extent that at GenCon they would host parties together...they collaborated to put out the Jihad card game, etc.

WotC (according to rumor) made some tentative bids to merge with White Wolf, because White Wolf was the most successful kid on the block in the RPG community. White Wolf rejected this advance and the friendship kind of folded.

WotC still needed someone to merge and grow with, because they knew that M:TG wasn't going to last. So, they turned their eye on the ailing TSR. TSR had sunk so far that in the last year they hosted GenCon before WotC acquired them...all of the "Special Guests" at GenCon were TSR Executives, editors and writers...as well as a handful of sci-fi/fantasy authors with products to plug.

So, WotC takes over TSR, needs to reinvent a flagging product line with new ideas and they have the capitol to do it. So...awhile later, we get 3.0.

When 3.0 was successful that enabled them to recoup their investment into TSR and the development/production costs for 3.0, however afterwards that left them mostly having broken even but without a large road stake for future growth (doesn't help that a few other products failed during this time).

So, shortly thereafter, we get 3.5. Production and development costs are negligible...sites like this one had already done most of the development they needed in their thorough critique of the game.

So they trim staff a bit to cut overhead, rewrite 3.0 to 3.5, republish and this time garner the profits they need for long term growth and stability. When the coffers run dry from that success, we'll see the real rumblings of 4.0 on the horizon.

This is just my opinion...I work in the business community, but not in the gaming business. Regardless though, I firmly believe that the success of White Wolf's World of Darkness and WotCs Magic: The Gathering were the catalysts for D&D 3.x.

Cedric

Stormborn

Explorer
shaylon said:
I would like to mention that no one has confirmed that it will be d20, that is just speculation because it is Monte.

No, I don't really see it being d20. What do we know about WW rumored releases adn Monte's likes? The nWoD already had a book with Cthulu-esque creatures in it (Antagonists?) so it seems unlikely thats it, although I guess it could be expanded and revitalized into something different. A New Dark Ages for more traditional fantasy gaming in the nWoD?

We need more confirmation. And more time.

eyebeams

Explorer
If anyone could make D20 WoD work, it'd be Monte Cook.

On the other hand, D20 CoC did not, in fact, set the horror gaming world on fire.
I think a more interesting possibility would be a setting redesign of some kind -- almost "Ultimates" in relation to the standard setting.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
If it is a d20 WoD, I'd be all over it like a rash. I love the WoD (OWoD, specifically), but its loony dice mechanics need shooting in the head and dumping into a shallow grave. Might be just the thing to save my long-hiatused Dark Ages game...

Remove ads