Whiteboard (Dry erase board)- How do you use it for your games?

Ironclad

First Post
We started to use a whiteboard in order to keep track of initiative. It was my effort to speed up the game play.

We then decided to use a pinboard with laminated paper cards for participants, that we could write on and move around as initiatives changed etc.

The white board is now just for general notes for the group in those large battles (everyone has a +3 Morale bonus to attacks etc from the Bard etc.)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
"KM, I'm not sure that's the way the rules work. I'm pretty sure I...wait, what are you doing with that whiteboard? KM? KM?"

*whap*whap*whap*whap*whap

"I AM THE DM, THAT IS WHY I WEAR THE CAPE! I CONTROL THE VERTICAL AND THE HORIZONTAL! FOR FOUR HOURS A WEEK, I AM YOUR GOD! YOU DO NOT QUESTION ME!"

ThirdWizard

First Post
Cutting a whiteboard with a sharp exact-o knife, writing over it with a dry-erase marker, then wiping it away leaves a nice clean line on the board. But, only if you know you can cut straight the first time! And, that's how I made my battle-mat.

GlassJaw

Hero
We then decided to use a pinboard with laminated paper cards for participants, that we could write on and move around as initiatives changed etc.

I have a board that's half white board, half pin board. We don't use the white board too much but we use the pin board exactly as you mentioned (although out cards aren't fancy and laminated like yours :p ).

I don't think I would ever consider making a battlemat out of a white board though - that's what Tact-Tiles are for!!!

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I have a portable one that I take to convention games where I use it to track initiative and to make combat maps, but I generally don't use it in my home games anymore.

delericho

Legend
I draw a table of useful PC information out on mine in a semi-permanent pen (it's called a chalk pen or somesuch - it is permanent until washed away with water). I use that to track the regular/flat-footed/touch ACs of the group, the base save DC for spell-casters, Damage Reduction (lately), Listen/Spot modifiers, and Max HP. I've found that these are useful things to have to hand - knowing the AC of the PC's makes running combat quicker, I can make secret Listen and Spot rolls without having to ask, and so on.

I then use standard dry erase markers to track current HP, initiative, monster HP, and anything else I think is pertinent.

It's probably worth noting that the whiteboard I have if fairly small, and not mounted on the wall, so I usually sit it across my knees while running the game. I can then use it to roll dice on, which is handy.

Remove ads