Who are the really interesting modern TTRPG designers?

Reynard

Legend
I'll post a free PDF link so that way it's not like I'm trying to make money/advertise here. Keep in mind the PDF is still under construction; part 4 hasn't been laid out yet, and we're still going through and filling in some blanks and fixing formatting errors, but largely it's done so far. I also post this knowing that 5E designers often aren't what's wanted in these kinds of indie discussions but my inspirations are all indie View attachment 355794

I've been working for a few years now trying to create a version of the 5E combat and storytelling experience that better suit the games I like to run -- high-octane, cinematic combats mixed with compelling and real storytelling moments and explicitly asymmetrical in balance between players and GM instead of 5E's assumed balanced state.

I wanted skirmishes, easier and more cinematic actions to take in combat, ways to fight large numbers of opponents without having to use a lot of seperate monsters on a map, and ways to make boss battles against solo creatures actually work well. I also wanted to figure out ways to create tools for improving + prepping environmental things and Battlefield Assets (which I'm actually rewriting for the book now) that can be used on-demand. Lastly, I wanted to create a game that helped the DM keep pace without forcing them too while also giving a huge number of levers to create narrative and cinematic scenarios.

On top of this, I spent a huge number of months working on a character generator that not only on-boarded you to the game world but that gave you a compelling and easy to understand character despite the complete strange baroqueness of the setting. This is my greatest achievement in the book, and is at the front of Tablet 2.

I don't think the game is perfect, and there's things now I'd do differently if I restarted the project (including making it completely bespoke and rooting out all of 5E); however, I think I did a great job of showing how you can stretch 5E and designing something that I think could really be applied to every game in terms of base idea. Some of the stuff is setting specific, but most of it can easily be dropped into any 5E game and would IMO be a good model for enjoyment.

Tablet 4, which isn't fully in layout though, is what I consider my other masterpiece, and I'll link that when it's done. But I spent a loooong time creating a campaign toolkit that also equipped the GM with tools that can be used to just maximize what I perceive to be 5E's greatest trait: how well it runs when asymmetrical.

This is the second book, the first was a world book you can buy that mapped to D&D, but this second book turns the setting into almost its own complete game.
Thanks. I will take a look.

FYI: that is a ridiculously large PDF for 161 pages. You might want to do something about that.

I suspect you would get a great big kick in the dirty diapers about Human Occupied Landfill. I've seen people actually play it, and have a great time doing so. But you'd never believe it was possible from reading it. Maybe!
I had more trouble reading the thing (that accursed font!) than actually playing, which we did once as a joke. Which was pretty much as intended by the designers, I'm told. I think some of the same people were involved in the "Seven Seals of Satan" board game in White Wolf Magazine, which featured a stalwart band of seal hunters who were humanity's last hope against the rising of the forces of Hell led by demonically possessed seal. The game included counters for Flipper and Lassie, and the scenarios including fending off an assault on Jersey Beach and an desperate defense of the White House and specifically the Clinton family.
Wildsea looks like a really great FitD.
Good review and interview posts about the game over here on this blog - really got me interested in the game.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I really like Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan's work, especially Eyes of the Stone Thief for 13th Age and The Mirkwood Campaign for Adventures in Middle-Earth, two of the most interesting adventures I have read in over 30 years. I LOVED Gming the first and can't wait to DM the 2nd.

Interesting enough, he's written a campaign for Rowan, Rook, and Decard's Heart, which just successfully kickstarted.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
-- and something like Nobilis which I am not entirely convinced is intended ever to be played. That said! It is absolutely inspirational reading and Jenna Moran has a new game coming out, The Far Roofs.
it’s probably a good thing I’m too sick today to effectively explain how pissed off the smug arrogance of claims like this make me. Jenna spent years working on the first edition of Nobilis, iterating and refining in response to play experience plus learning a lot from years with the Amber community. James Wallis pushed for a fresh round of iterations for the second edition (which she did wholeheartedly). Then she drew on years of others’ play and commentary and her own experience and evolving perspective for the third edition. The game was designed to play and has been played more than a goodly number of games with larger market share that get bought and talked about but mostly sit unplayed.

Now to go recover some more. The cats are having words with me, words like “purr” and “meow”.

Remove ads