Who are your favorite artists?

Wombat

First Post
I have a deep love the artists of the Northern Renaissance -- Bosch, Bruegel, the van Eycks, Durer, Holbein, Gertgen tot sint Jans, right up through Rembrandt.

On the other end of the spectrum, I love Dali, Miro, M.C. Escher, Man Ray, and a smattering of Picasso.

A goodly number of Japanese woodblock artists, such as Hokusai, come to mind, as do some of the classic Chinese landscape scroll artists (but I am forgetting names of particular artists at the moment -- have to haul out some of my books).

I also love a lot of often non-attributed art, such as the general Mayan style, the art of Benin, Assyrian freizes, and a well-crafted harp or violin.

And then there is Alan Lee, not to mention Brian Froud :)

Much like my musical and literary tastes, I am all over the board ;)

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Prince of Happiness said:
Already did. :D
So you did. Doh!

I also should add that Waterhouse Hawkins' paintings of mythical scenes and figures and such have a certain ambience. Some of the Victorian and immediately thereafter folks who illustrated short stories, like Sidney Sime, Arthur Rackham, and Aubrey Beardsley did some nifty stuff too.

And Richard Upton Pickman. Sorry, I had to. ;)

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Another Maxfield Parrish fan here, along with Alphonse Mucha and Aubrey Beardsley.

And Frank Frazetta kicks big, shapely butt.

der_kluge

Adventurer
*points towards his avatar*

Ironic that one would forget the name "persistence of memory".

I also like Monet. His _Water Lillies_ is just stunningly beautiful. The Nelson Atkins Museum in Kansas City has one (yes, Virginia, there are several). Someone figured out several years ago that they made a mural, and there was a tour of them side by side. I wish I could have seen that.

I've always like Norman Rockwell's art as well.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
  • Hieronymous Bosch: Startling creativity from a time where perspective was not yet a given, and any other content than religious iconography was unusual.

• Leonardo Da Vinci: The Leading scientific, religious, and artisitc mind of his age. His artwork icreates about 1/10th of the awe for me that the man hmself does.

• Norman Rockwell: Magnificent, vastly underrated craftsman. He produced pieces of near-photorealistic quality, with themes that were capable of both telling a stry and/or creating emotion in the viewer...and he did it weekly for 40 years or so. Incredible. If art history wants to be taken seriosuly, they need to start paying more homage to Norman Rockwell.

The rest of this list, I have no real commentary for...
  • Joan Miro
  • Francis Bacon
  • Salvador Dali
  • Frank Frazetta
  • Edward Munch

I'm not much of an art guy in the sense that I know what I like, and don't care for "movements" of modern art in the least. I also don't care for art that doesn't actually show something, which is a major turnoff of modern art for me. I've been a huge N.C. Wyeth fan for years, and Howard Pyle as well -- both worked in a similar style at a similar time on similar projects.

And you can't go wrong with Frank Frazetta.

In my living room I have (in print form, unfortunately) a Porfirio Salinas landscape, made famous by the fact that LBJ put a lot of them up in the White House when he was president. And it's good; but really the reason I keep it around is to remind me of home.

Last edited:

Remove ads