• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

who else loves the C&C...?

mhensley said:
I find this impossible to believe.

I understand it's ranked 5th in a league table of RPG publishers that's based on total volume of sales, from those game and book stores that participated in the survey, during a particular period.

Imaro

Legend
Just wanted to throw another shout out to C&C, definitely my new go to game, especially for new players. I ran a mini-campaign about three months ago with some people(all newbies) from work and my regular group and it went great. Those in my regular group each bought their own PHB and chipped in to get a copy of M&T to each run one adventure in the campaign. We had to stop because of football season (we're all chicagoans man!). But two days ago two of the guys and one girl from work asked me when I'd be starting "our" game back up.:D(Wasn't really expecting them to be proactive). So in two more weeks I'll be running 2 games (Dark Legacies w/3.x and C&C greyhawk.) instead of one.

I think there were alot of things about C&C that made it easier for me to introduce to new players, here are a few.
1. Character creation is a breeze, doesn't bog down(Let's you get to the "fun" part quickly)
2. The rules are easily grasped
3. (This one's a prefrence issue for me) I like systems that I can build upon, not one's I have to deconstruct. It let's me propose things to my PC's and get their feedback, fully explain it to them, as well as allowing me to make sure we're all on the same page as far as how something works before I introduce it.
4. Prep-time is next to nothing
5. Combat was quick and imaginative with us(as a whole) establishing how special actions, stunts etc. we're mechanically represented. A rule I often used was a stunt or maneuver gives you a +2 to something, AC, Hit Bonus, Prime Check, Save, Damage etc. but the same "trick" rarely worked in the same situation twice. It lead to some inventive descriptions, imaginative moves etc. on their part and was easy to keep track of on my part.

PapersAndPaychecks said:
I understand it's ranked 5th in a league table of RPG publishers that's based on total volume of sales, from those game and book stores that participated in the survey, during a particular period.

That's good to hear, now I gotta grab the screen and a few modules from TLG before my next campaign starts.

T. Foster

First Post
PapersAndPaychecks said:
A survey that was conducted (or at least reported) by a business associate of TLG, no less...

rogueattorney

Adventurer
I'm a 1e/OD&D/B/XD&D fan, who's not a 3e player, who was really looking forward to C&C when it was announced. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite ring my bell.

I think it's a case of being too far from my preferred versions of D&D to get me to go through the effort of switching over, but too close to my preferred versions of D&D to justify playing in addition to D&D, if that makes any sense.

From a game mechanics standpoint, it's really not that similar to O(A)D&D. It basically stripped out all the little fiddly sub-systems that (to me, at least) formed the basis of O(A)D&D's mechanics and replaced it with a unified system. That's not necessarily a bad thing... it's just different from what I like in my D&D. If I had to equate it with any version of D&D, I'd equate it with 2e, but that has more to do with the editorial tone of the writing and the seeming presumed playing style (story-telling instead of gamist) than the actual rules.

While I won't go so far as to say I dislike C&C, there are about a dozen rpgs, both in print and out, that I'd rather run before it. I certainly wouldn't have a problem if a GM wanted to run it, and will say this... I'd run and play it before I'd run 3e.

My favorite C&C product is, without question, the "Nostalgia" Boxed set, which I see as a nice take on a 21st. C. version of the original OD&D rules. It's wide open for interpretations, very basic, with very few built in setting assumptions. (I love the one sentence spell descriptions.) It also has the bonus of being imbued with that "small-press" made in somebody's basement as a labor of love feel that I get from 1970's rpg products. [Actually, just typing this last paragraph reminds me of why I was so excited about C&C coming out 2 years ago, and makes me think I should break it out again and give it another look...]

Even though I was dissapointed in the larger rule set, I was hoping that the adventures would be nice source materials for my OOP D&D games. Thus far, I've also been pretty dissapointed with the adventures I've seen. I think the Rising Knight, which came with the boxed set and has an expanded version free in .pdf, is the best of the adventures of the admitedly small sampling I've seen. The rest have left me... blah. As conversion projects go, I like Goodman's DCCs better, despite the much greater effort. (I haven't yet got ahold of the DCC C&C conversions.)

I hear good things about the Crater of Umeshti, though. I'm very interested to see what James Mishler's Wilderlands project looks like. And, of course, I continue to hope that Castle Gr... er... Zagyg eventually sees the light of day and that it lives up to one one-hundredth of the hype and expectation that has gone with the project.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
rogueattorney said:
Even though I was dissapointed in the larger rule set, I was hoping that the adventures would be nice source materials for my OOP D&D games. Thus far, I've also been pretty dissapointed with the adventures I've seen. I think the Rising Knight, which came with the boxed set and has an expanded version free in .pdf, is the best of the adventures of the admitedly small sampling I've seen. The rest have left me... blah. As conversion projects go, I like Goodman's DCCs better, despite the much greater effort. (I haven't yet got ahold of the DCC C&C conversions.)

I wasn't that impressed with the modules myself, Dark Chateau and Blacktooth Ridge were not that great. The Mysterious Tower though by DCC was awesome.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Dragonhelm said:
I don’t get why people part ways with old game books they don’t use any more.

Because, for most folks, it's practical. Keeping old books around on the off-chance that they may get used again some day is like keeping old cars up on concrete blocks in your front yard on the off-chance that they may someday get fully restored and driven again. This usually doesn't happen, IME.

Treebore

First Post
jdrakeh said:
Because, for most folks, it's practical. Keeping old books around on the off-chance that they may get used again some day is like keeping old cars up on concrete blocks in your front yard on the off-chance that they may someday get fully restored and driven again. This usually doesn't happen, IME.

Then C&C came along making it easy to use stuff from every edition of D&D and justified my continued defiance of my wifes nagging me to get rid of that old stuff.

Now I get to nag her. "Look honey! I am using that old monster manual you told me to throw away. Plus these modules. And the DMG. Then this 2E MM. And this, and this, etc... I'm sure glad I didn't listen to you and get rid of them." :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads