D&D 5E Who else uses silver as the currency denominator rather than gold?

neogod22

Explorer
I don't see a need to do any conversion to assume that silver is the standard currency for ordinary people. Adventurers aren't ordinary people. The sacks of gold they're hauling out of ancient dungeons do not represent a typical laborer's wages.
They usually visit small towns or hang out in taverns. Those people usually trade in silver. Food is listed in copper or silver. Rooms are usually in silver also. The only things that are usually listed in gold are expensive items, and again that for simplicity sake. You don't have to convert, and most ppl won't, but from a role playing perspective, if you ask a weaponsmith how much a longsword is, he more than likely should answer 150 coins(sp), instead of 15gp.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

discosoc

First Post
Nah, I use gold like normal but account for regional inflation once characters start spending big. Once, I even had a town become abandoned after the adventurers started tipping people 50gp and purchased hundreds of GP worth of goods/etc.. Those amounts often equal decades worth of income for people. It would be like if someone tipped a waitress $300,000 she'd probably quit her job pretty quickly to pursue some other dream. Even if she just got lazy, that's a good 9 or 10 years of solid living with no work required.

neogod22

Explorer
Converting things to silver puts in perspective how rich the characters actually are and when they start spending gold like water, they start drawing attention to themselves.

Shiroiken

Legend
My campaign is using the silver standard; PHB prices divided by 10. I added the brass bit (bp) to the bottom to replace what was copper, even though I don't expect players to ever use them (other than to give to beggars/children). The biggest advantage of this is that you have more valuable coins that allow for more wealth to be carried, without having to resort to gems and jewelry.

I wanted to go back to the AD&D conversions (1 pp = 5 gp = 10 ep = 100 sp = 1000 cp), but my group was very much against this. I detest the decimal system brought about by 3E, however, it has become ingrained into newer players :rant:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I stubbornly stick to the g.p. standard and have every intention of continuing thus.

That said, I've gone beyond simple cp-sp-ep-gp-pp - there's about ten different coin types in my game - though for simplicity those five are the most common.

For the basic ones I use the old British conversions - 12 c.p. (pence) to the s.p. (shilling), 20 s.p. to the g.p. (pound), and 5* g.p. to the p.p. (sovereign). An e.p. is half a g.p. But I also have equivalents to farthings, ha'pennies, thruppences, sixpences, and half-crowns.

* - not sure if this one's historically accurate but it's what D&D has always used, so close enough. :)

Lan-"and at times coin encumbrance has led to some very creative solutions (after half a session's discussion), as not a copper is ever left behind"-efan

Irda Ranger

First Post
No. Not worth the effort to restate the equipment lists in the PHB for a level of "realism" that neither I nor any of my players really cares about. Plus, big chests of gold are just fun to imagine.

neogod22

Explorer
No. Not worth the effort to restate the equipment lists in the PHB for a level of "realism" that neither I nor any of my players really cares about. Plus, big chests of gold are just fun to imagine.
No one said anything about changing treasure size or actual values. Just the coinage used by peasants. Again, it's totally up to you and your game.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I honestly hadn't even considered using the silver standard until recently when someone else brought it up on the boards. I don't think I will use it though, I'm not so concerned about realism that I need to make silver the standard currency.

No one said anything about changing treasure size or actual values. Just the coinage used by peasants. Again, it's totally up to you and your game.

The opening post literally talks about changing treasure to silver and adjusting values of equipment as well as the exchange rate between gold, silver, and copper.

The opening post literally talks about changing treasure to silver and adjusting values of equipment as well as the exchange rate between gold, silver, and copper.
Yeah, we're now talking about at least two different things in this thread:

1. A longsword costs 15 gp, but most people would state that price as 150 sp.
  2. A longsword costs 15 sp.

Coroc

Hero
I used the 'silver standard' back in the day. Simply substituted sp for gp as the standard prices. Somewhat backed away from the 'gold rush economy' assumed by AD&D. I didn't use historical conversion, though, and had all manner of 'fantasy currency,' as well as uniform-weight coins of different metals.

Sorry, wanted to give you XP and laugh to the other post :p

Remove ads