Who has kids, games with them, or isn't allowed?

Who has kids, games with them, or isn't allowed?

• I have a child/children but they think their parent is a nut case.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I have one child I am teaching to game.

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • I have several children but only one/some game(s).

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • All of my children game.

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • My child is the DM at our family table.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My children take turns DMing and the rest play.

• My spouse runs a game and I make monster sounds to help out.

• My children game but do not allow me near the gaming table.

• The state prohibits me from gaming with children...legally.

• I do not have children but cannot resist posting to polls.

Votes: 43 62.3%

WSmith

First Post
You forgot a catagory:

I have kids but my spouse thinks that gaming leads to undesirable behavior, and therefore kids gaming his currently not happing. :rolleyes:

My children started gaming just over a year ago, with the 3rd Edition Adventure Game.

We have moved beyond that. They have finished "Sunless Citadel" and I am currently running them through the old U1-3 series (Secret of Saltmarsh, Danger at Dunwater, Final Enemy).

They are now 11 and almost 7.

They are both interested in DM'ing.

My daughter wants more story and less hack-n-slash.

And my son (the almost-7-year-old) want to join the "D&D Club" I play in (a.k.a. the RPGA) so he can play more. I've told our regular DM about his playing and he commented that "he's about ready to join us" in our Friday night game. :cool:

They also both loved The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring , refusing to go to the bathroom until the end credits started rolling. My daughter, an 11-year-old Harry Potter nut, also has seen LotR:FotR three times, and HP&tSS only once. And while I dearly love the HP books, the movie just didn't cut it, so that makes me very happy. My daughter is now almost done with the first book of the LotR trilogy, so she only has about two books to go. Harry who? :D

Nikchick

Explorer
Right On!

Wolfspider said:
My daughter is just six, so she hasn't played yet. She knows what role-playing is, though, and she says that when she does play, she wants to play a karate-fighting ballerina. LOL!

I guess I should mention she's a fan of the Power Puff Girls, Samurai Jack, and Barbie. ;)

My daughter would get along great with your daughter. :) Mine, also six, has been surrounded by gaming and gamers for her whole life. She's joined our D&D game, but only for cameo appearances. She's not quite old enough to play a full game, but is always disappointed if she comes down the morning after game night and sees that the minis and battle mat have been moved around.

"Awww, you guys got to have a battle!"

She's vowed that she'll be the Game Master as soon as she can read.

Nicole

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Wolfspider said:
My daughter is just six, so she hasn't played yet.

My parents started playing pre-1980, and let me join their group when I was 6 (1983).

Looking back... they tell me I was no problem at all, but I think playing with a 6-year-old would drive me nuts!

My parents are now players in the game I DM, and one of the other players has brought along his 12 year old son... took a few sessions to settle in, but he's not too bad now... and I figure I owe the same patience I was shown! :)

-Hyp.

R

Rubeus Hagrid

As I've stated in other threads, my game group consists of myself, my wife, both our sons (15 and 11), our best friend, his ex-wife, and his fiancee. His son is always here, but too little to play. RolePlaying is the central family and recreational activity in our lives. The 13-year old has started DMing, beginning with the Burning Plauge adventure. He's good. :)

Bass Puppet

First Post
Interesting Thread....

Now for the other shoe......

I started playing in 1980. I was 7 years old when my older cousins (15-20 years) bought over the Basic set to my house. My dad was hooked, therefore, we were hooked. The cool thing is my brother was 5 when he started and that has been a childhood bond between us. I would encourage parents to get there kids playing young. I didn't like reading until I started reading the D&D books. Now I have read over several hundred books ranging from Fantasy to Biography.

Let's see....go out with your friends to a party on the other side of town.....or.......stay home and play D&D with the neighborhood friends in the garage.....to easy.

Damn, I am a geek.

Fast Learner

First Post
My 15 year old daughter games with us at every game, and is now DMing a group at her high school.

Brings a tear to an old DM's -- I mean Dad's -- eye!

Remove ads