• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who hasn't RPG'd in a while?

Edgewood

First Post
I thought I would start this thread for all of us who love to role play, and have done so vehemently in days gone by, but now find themselves in a place or situation in their life where its just not feasible.

For me, my situation is thus:

My work had transferred me to another province and invariably took me away from my gaming group who are now two time zones away. As a result I live in a small town where there is no gaming community, no game store and no real outlet to ply my DMing trade. I have tried numerous times to set up a game via webcam with my old group but scheduling was a nightmare. I have also tried to go the webcam route with others closer to my current home but again, scheduling was a major hassle. So, here I sit, with an entire campaign world of my own creation not being used. I have plot lines not being forwarded and I'm stagnating in a state of Arrested RPG Development. Long do I yearn for the days when I could get together with my friends and slay dragons.

I really miss role playing...:.-(

So, if you're in the same situation as me, share your story. We, the forgotten gamers...

(The above was really just added drama for sympathetic effect)

Asmo

First Post
I´ve not gamed since WoW started to dominate. The group just disintegrated, and I´m the last man standing. I also live in a very remote area: no store, no gamers, nothing.
We are a group of oldtimers that -once a year - gathers to play some Magic:the Gathering for an extended weekend. I really love M:tg, but nothing beats D&D with some good friends.

Asmo

Aus_Snow

First Post
Well, I've cut down, both in terms of player count, and game frequency. If that counts. (?)

But that's not a bad thing, as it turns out. :)

Also, now, I have more time for other kinds of games, not to mention all that other stuff (y'know, life or whatever it's called. . .) :hmm:

Infernal Teddy

Explorer
I havn't gamed outside of conventions for about three years. I've moved to an area with MORE gamers, ironicaly, but it's all closed groups, now new players welcome :( The Girlfiend and I are still loooking though...

samursus

Explorer
This thread is directly addressed to me. I surf the threads here just to get a small taste of the RPG banquet I used to partake in wholeheartedly. The old group has gone and dispersed into the wind... I tried getting a group together again when 4e came out, but time constraints seem to always get in the way. (on the plus side, 2 or 3 new female players who are SO's now exist) I may try once again with the release of PHB2.

And yes, WOW is partly responsible here too...

Aeolius

Adventurer
The last time I ran a face-to-face game of D&D was in 1994. I started running games online in 1995 and that seems to suffice, given my schedule.

Mister Doug

First Post
The combination of being in my 40s, having my game group scattered around the county, and starting a doctoral program (while working full time) have all really killed my gaming. And most of my social life.

However, look like I might have a game next weekend, and I have been doing some blogging about a game I hope to run some time in the moderately near future. But actually sitting down at a game table? It's been about 3 years...

:(

kibbitz

First Post
Let's see... my last game was probably 12 or so years ago. I was in secondary school, which probably would qualify as high school in the US? We usually have 6 years of primary school, 5 of secondary. Anyway, I gamed in school for years 4-6 in primary, 2-4 in secondary. I gamed during recess, during free periods and whenever we could find time. Mostly DMed, not that I minded.

By year 4 of secondary, we were split into streams, I went into the science stream, my friends went into technical. Different classes, more classes and tuition, it all meant less game time. From then on, no more gaming. I still read articles and bought Dragon and other gaming materials when I could, but it became a purely passive and personal hobby. Have a friend now with similar interests, but we don't game together... or at all. Sad.

Do I miss those days? I'd like to think I do. However, I seem to have grown too used to my current lifestyle such that I probably would think twice about joining a real life group if I was offered a chance.

Silvercat Moonpaw

Adventurer
I don't know if I should get to post here, as I can (with great difficulty) find games online. Also I've never been part of the intense play other people talk about. But I know how it feels when you have hobbies (RPGing included) that you don't get as much out of as you wish you did as that describes my whole life. :)

Remove ads