• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who is this person, and why do they not know what a gish is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirgilCaine

First Post
Piratecat said:
No name attached to the comments? You mean, other than explicitly being posted by Morrus? What with his name and photo right to the left of the post? :)

As such, your question "who is this person?" came off as very, very odd.

Posted? You mean on the front page of this website, where I read it?

Where the only link is to Rich Baker's blog?

Where there's no authorship claimed or implied, other than being on Eric Noah's website?

Last edited:

Tewligan

First Post
Hairfoot said:
Yes, but they also think Jargon was a Greyhawk god who didn't make into 3E, so advice may be futile.
Oh, man - back in the day, Jargon really tore our party a new one when we were adventuring under The Lost City!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
VirgilCaine said:
I figured that out a few seconds before you posted. I had assumed you got the news from here. As such, your question comes off much differently than you possibly intended it.

VirgilCaine

First Post
Piratecat said:
I figured that out a few seconds before you posted. I had assumed you got the news from here. As such, your question comes off much differently than you possibly intended it.

No, I don't think I've ever been to that particular section of the forums, no.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
VirgilCaine said:
It's not like it's some brand-new usage of the word. I could swear I've heard it used for, oh, two years now at least. That's a long time on the Internet.

I never imagined my post would bring out such vitriol against the term!

And man, some of you guys are really proud of being out of touch on this particular issue!

No. I don't know why everyone thinks this is supposed to be a funny thread.
There was no name attached to the comments, and it's not like it's a new, weird term.

You started a thread aimed at specifically calling down a member here (nevermind for the moment the importance of that member) for being unfamiliar with a certain bit of terminology. You made it clear that you thought not knowing the term was a sign of cluelessness and deficiency. You expected to take no heat for this?

The folks you reference above have merely chimed in that they consider the term to be not as widespread and certainly not as important to the hobby as you seem to think it is.

Lorthanoth

Explorer
'Gish' was in the 1E Fiend Foliio, but only recently has it become the buzzword for fighter/mages. I sort of like it, but only when it's used for githyanki.

And.. you hadn't realised that Morrus posts all the news? Wow.

tenkar

Old School Blogger
VirgilCaine said:

Where the only link is to Rich Baker's blog?

Where there's no authorship claimed or implied, other than being on Eric Noah's website?

This hasn't been Eric Noah's website for a number of years... at least longer then the term "gish" has apparently made inroads in ENWorld forum postings.

While Eric is still a frequent poster on this boards, Morrus is the man behind the boards these days. He does a fine job despite being handicapped with the use of his "british" english ;)

So if some of us may be ignorant to the term "gish" (myself included), others may not realize who actually runs the boards they post on where this word is currently in use.

Throwing stones, glass houses, and all that other rubbish comes to mind at the moment :)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
tenkar said:
Throwing stones, glass houses, and all that other rubbish comes to mind at the moment :)

I'm certain that it does but we're all too classy to make mention of that fact, right?

tenkar

Old School Blogger
Rel said:
I'm certain that it does but we're all too classy to make mention of that fact, right?

The last thing you could ever call the average New Yorker is "classy"... I'm sure you've seen how we are portrayed in movies and cop shows... message received tho ;)

VirgilCaine

First Post
Lorthanoth said:
And.. you hadn't realised that Morrus posts all the news? Wow.

It's "amazing" how easy it is not to know who someone is if they never sign their name or state who they are, which I don't believe I've ever seen on the front page.

You started a thread aimed at specifically calling down a member here (nevermind for the moment the importance of that member) for being unfamiliar with a certain bit of terminology. You made it clear that you thought not knowing the term was a sign of cluelessness and deficiency. You expected to take no heat for this?

I don't remember taking any heat.

The folks you reference above have merely chimed in that they consider the term to be not as widespread and certainly not as important to the hobby as you seem to think it is.

Important? No, not particularly important to the hobby as a whole, no.

But I certainly would expect someone running a website such as ENWorld, which, as I remember is quite the center for news about D&D, to be at least conversant with the term.

So if some of us may be ignorant to the term "gish" (myself included), others may not realize who actually runs the boards they post on where this word is currently in use.

Throwing stones, glass houses, and all that other rubbish comes to mind at the moment.

As I said above:
It's "amazing" how easy it is not to know who someone is if they never sign their name or state who they are, which I don't believe I've ever seen on the front page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads