• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who Kills Your PCs?

What percentage of your PCs are killed by other PCs?

• 0%

Votes: 107 45.5%
  • 1%-25%

Votes: 105 44.7%
  • 26%-50%

Votes: 14 6.0%
  • 51%-75%

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • 76%-99%

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • 100%

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Poll closed .

Sejs

First Post
Once in a blue moon that sort of thing will happen by mistake, omission, or unwise choice... but on purpose? Doesn't happen.

Taloras

First Post
Hmm...with the exception of one game, we havent had any PCs kill other PCs...wether on purpose or accidentally. that one game though.....epic level game, evil, neutral, and good characters. ick. I lost 2 characters (half silver dragon hound archon paladin/vassal of bahamut died in 1 round, warforged scout Rogue died in 2). Both by Pcs. At one point we had 3 undead PCs that were killing any living PC we brought in. the reason? the Players wanted an all undead party. so they made their PCs hate all living creatures.....even though out of 9 players, only 3 wanted it, they would kill us off one at a time, and tell us (the players) to make an undead character or it would happen again. needless to say, 6 of us left the group.

Thanee

First Post
Nadaka said:
0, Its rule number 3. There will be no infighting.

Same here, but it's still 1-25 (much closer to the 1 side, though). ;)
Sometimes it's not really intent, but rather accident, which leads to PC death.

Bye
Thanee

Henrix

Explorer
The only incident I can remember right now is when they icestormed a BBEG, realizing only too late that the unconscious rogue was in the area as well.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
The last two that died in one of our games were killed by my evil druid. :]

See, the wounded psion was being carried off by a vampire, and we didn't want to face a psionic vampire, so I hit her with call lightning and finished her off first.

And the ranger had been mauled nigh unto death by the werewolves, who were now probably going to infect him and have him join their side too, so I had to hit him with another call lightning to finish HIM off.

Granny knows best.

Ulrik

First Post
Taloras said:
At one point we had 3 undead PCs that were killing any living PC we brought in. the reason? the Players wanted an all undead party. so they made their PCs hate all living creatures.....even though out of 9 players, only 3 wanted it, they would kill us off one at a time, and tell us (the players) to make an undead character or it would happen again. needless to say, 6 of us left the group.

You should have conspired to bring in PCs that hate Undead. Like, say an optimized Radiant Servant of Pelor :D

(I don't know enough about epic to know if it's effective, but over on the CO boards they made a 14th lvl character that could destroy 2 undead with 26HD each with one turn attempt...with a roll of 1 or higher on the turn check.)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Let's see:

There was one time a group of PCs abandoned another to his fate in the local prison because they all felt he deserved what he got - essentially removing the character from play and forcing the player to make a new one. Does that count?

We use critical hits and fumbles in my game, and once a fumble that did triple damage to an ally was followed up by an accidental casting of fireball point blank from a wand of wonder.

One time the foolish lassoing of a giant goldfish when the party was shrunken down to a few inches in height and making their way across a fountain in a make-shift boat, led to the boat capsizing and a handful of PCs and NPCs being dropped into the water to sink in their armor and become fish food.

Gold Roger

First Post
Of the top of my head I remember two cases where PC's where killed by other PC's, though I wouldn't consider either of those to be deaths actually caused by PC's.

The first was when the dwarfen barbarian in CotSQ was dominated and obliberated the gnome druid. I account this one to the dominating vampire, not the barbarian.

Then there was the rogue the others executed so he wouldn't transform into an evil temple guardian. At that point the PC was already pretty much lost and I'd mostly account this death to the PC's own decission to steal from an evil altar and his refusal to have his arm cut of by the other PC's..

Henry

Autoexreginated
What I want to know is the circumstances behind those two posters who answered "75 to 99% of the time." Now THAT would make some interesting tales. :D

-------------------

For our part, it's happened once due to party infighting about three years ago, and once (I recall) a long time ago through a mishap with a spell (can't remember the spell, but it was an area affect, and he mistook a good guy for a bad guy).

Oh, and once about 13 years ago, when one player decided to turn evil in the middle of Undermountain without telling anyone. :]

Last edited:

Remove ads