• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who needs sleep?

I haven't really slept beyond a half hour to hour nap here and there for the last two weeks. Strangely coherent still...just too much stress to really sleep, and I don't like sleeping because I don't like my dreams. Its easier to just rest when I need it than sleep for long periods of time.

AIM-54

First Post
Umbran said:
Well, there's your hallucination right there. A canoe is a flat-bottom boat. The thing doesn't have a keel. :)

This is not quite true. We were paddling a Grumman canoe, similar to the models here which do have something they refer to as a keel; basically a metal strip that runs the length of the canoe, from bow to stern. And that particular canoe had a bent "keel", which caused it to be very difficult to steer. I've done a lot of canoeing in a variety of canoes and never had one that was that difficult to steer. I don't think it was the sleep deprivation at that point, simply because plenty of other people managed to get their canoes home just fine. :)

Krieg

First Post
Ashwyn said:
I went 72 hours or so once. I saw things moving that weren't actually moving.
Did you get the "floating" movement of things sitting just out of your primary line of sight?

I hate that.

I don't think I've ever actually gone more than 25 or 26 hours... However, I spent a summer working at an assisted living home in the Alzheimer's unit-- night shift. So, I would go to work at 10pm and get off at 7am. It was incredibly hard, frustrating, never-ending work. Currently, I am a student and I work a desk job on days when I don't have class... at times, I think I am busy and stressed out-- it simply doesn't not compare to attempting to care for 10 individuals in their last stages of that horrible disease.

Additionally, there is nothing weirder than going to work one day and getting off the next: it messes with your brain.

Anyway-- on a particular morning, we got a call at about 5am. One of the day shifters wasn't going to be in. So, I make a bunch of phone calls in an attempt to find SOMEONE--ANYONE to cover the shift. In the end, I can't. So, I volunteer to take it over. 16 hours of work isn't so bad, right?

So, at 7am, I take over for the day shift. In the end, I will have been there from 10pm one night until 2pm the following day... instead, something goes very wrong. At around 10am, one of the night shift girls calls-- she won't be able to make it in tonight. Somehow, it (once again) became my responsibility to find her replacement. And again, I can't find anybody.

In the end, I fixed the situation by volunteering to work 1/2 of the night shift: 18 hours of hard work in a row. After getting off, I was SO TIRED... and, after driving the 20 miles back home, I couldn't sleep...

LONGEST DAY OF MY LIFE! :) (and this post was much longer than it needed to be!)

Numion

First Post
During an army field exercise I had one or two hours of sleep during the first 4 nights, and then no sleep during the last. In a forest visual hallucinations were pretty strong and constant. Everything seemed to move, trees seemed to become moving animals or humans .. good thing too it wasn't a live ammunition exercise :heh:

Those kind of visuals were more effective when it was darker.

Algolei

Explorer
Numion said:
Everything seemed to move, trees seemed to become moving animals or humans .. good thing too it wasn't a live ammunition exercise :heh:

Those kind of visuals were more effective when it was darker.
Try 'em in an empty house late at night. ;) They're grrrrrrrreat!

Korgan26

First Post
96 hours and at that point I saw the Cheshire cat dancing on top of a computer monitor across the room from my own.
That was a little freaky, otherwise I'm a 4 hour a day person who (due to work and child watching) does a 24+ stint at least once a week.

Z

bladesong said:
p.s. Wow, quick email. 10 days straight without any sleep at all was the longest that I remember, though my parents said I went longer than that as a child.

Wow... this is really... I don't even know what the word is for it...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads