Who wants to be a Wayfinder? Part 1

Shayuri

First Post
"I think we ought to move a bit more carefully," Whisper says darkly. "This attack means we are getting close to something. In fact, were it not for the loss of a companion, I would welcome last night's events. We have attracted attention, and clearly someone thinks we're close enough, and have the possibility of getting closer, that they were willing to risk tipping their hands to try to get rid of us."

She nods at the canvas. "I met a street artist today. He asked me to buy his painting, I asked him if he had heard any rumors pertinent to our inquiries. His reply was cryptic, but seemed to indicate that the venue was too crowded to be safe speaking of such matters."

"I am not sure why these scraps were left...perhaps he meant to warn us of the attack. Perhaps they aided in the attack...marking our rooms perhaps, as the targets."

She shrugs. "In any event, it's not inconceivable that the House or factions within the House are involved. I counsel caution in deciding who to notify."

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

Midian frowns as Whisper tells her tale.

"Maybe you're right," Midian says, finding a new reserve of strength to stand. "We're still new to the political situation around here; maybe we're best playing things closer to the breast. Would that I'd thought of that before talking to the guard. They might tip the House in the course of their investigation."

He manages to crack a rueful smile as he turns his attention to Seria. "Luckily, good Seria's a more savvy one than I am. Since no one knows of these clues, I suggest we check them first. Let's see if we can't help that street merchant ... get to a place where he is comfortable talking." There's a dark gleam in his eye as he says this.

Mista Collins

First Post
"You have read my mind, Midian," Seria states as she returns the smile. "Now, I suggest we try and find this artist of yours and see what other paintings he is the the mood to draw."

Bront

The man with the probe
Johan nods, "The artist indeed sounds like a good lead. I can have Jaron's things taken care of, and sent back to his family, and the arangements shouldn't take too long. I could also see if there have been any notice of inquiries for assassins."

SelcSilverhand

First Post
The rest of the night passes uneventfully, though you all rest uneasily, waking at every creaking floorboard or wind rattling the window panes. When the morning comes you awaken then head downstairs to find some breakfast before setting out. A couple of servants standing outside your old rooms gossiping about the attack scatter when they see you coming, going back to work cleaning up some of the debris from the broken door frame. Downstairs the innkeeper's wife has prepared a meal of hot ham and fresh bread for you and several other travelers that stopped in this morning. After you have finished eating the innkeeper comes over to your table to speak with you. He says, "When one of my boys was fetching water this morning he spotted some ropes on either side of your rooms hanging from the roof. He went up on the roof and pulled them down. I had him run them into the guard station, maybe it will help the watch captain. I do hope they find your friends killer." With that he bids you good day and goes back to cleaning up the bar. With a plan in mind, you leave the inn and split up.

Johan follows the directions to the coroner's house that he was given by the guard the night before. The streets are surprisingly busy for this early hour, though after a moments thought it seems normal for a seaside town. Looking out from one of the terraces over the water he sees numerous boats heading out to sea. Presumably most are fishing boats, though he can see a few larger trading vessels just beginning to leave the harbor. After a short hike he finds the building he was seeking. Inside the lighting is muted and the noise of the street muffled. The entrance area seems to double as a showcase. There are numerous recognizable caskets and a few other unusual containers. Some look like large barrels carved with flowers and other designs. There is also a mock up of a small floating raft piled with fake flowers and wreaths. The same coroner you met last night comes out from the back room to greet you and offer his condolences. He asks how you would like his final remains to be interred. He recommends a simple burial at sea either wrapped in fine cloth or a weighted barrel. He also mentions that at a higher fee, he can arrange for the body to be magically preserved and transported back to his homeland. While discussing the matter one of his assistants brings out a wrapped bundle containing the few possessions Jaron had on him when he was brought in.

The rest of the party heads higher up through the city, following the winding ramps upwards until Whisper recognizes the street she was on when she last saw the street artist. It takes some time to search all the side streets especially as the streets start to fill with more citizens heading out for work. Seria's experience in larger cities helps her quickly scan the crowds until she spots the elf from his description. After pointing him out to Whisper and getting a confirmation on his identity, the group moves towards him. The elf is in the middle of a juggling performance for a gaggle of squealing children. He is tossing several colored balls up in the air and making jokes to the delighted children. At the end of the performance he catches each ball in a wide brimmed hat with a flourish. He bows low to the children and their clapping parents, a few of which toss a handful of copper or a silver or two into the hat he lay before the crowd. As the small crowd disperses you approach and greet the elf. He smiles at Whisper and says, "Young miss! Seeing you again is like the dawning of the sun on this poor humble soul! And I see you've brought an equally delightful friend, the combined beauty is near overpowering! No doubt you turn the head of every sailor in the Principalities. Ahh, and a young master, a sibling I can only pray..." He grins and winks at Midian.

Mista Collins

First Post
"Your compliments are well noted, kind sir." Seria says with a sweet smile. "I caught a glimpse of a nice work of art and wanted to find the artist who painted such a wonderful piece. I wanted to talk to him and ask him more about the art of painting because I always fancied it, but never had the talent myself. I was told you might be the man to look for."

Shayuri

First Post
"We've definitely turned more than one head around here," Whisper says dryly. She glances at Midian and smiles. "He's just here for our mutual protection. It's unseemly for two ladies to be walking without a minder, some say. Any chance we could ply you with a drink in some secluded tavern, and speak more of this painting in private?"

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

Midian, seeing his female companions seem to have the negotiations well in hand, takes the hint from Whisper and plays the silent bodyguard, pointing his thumb to the shortspear at the ready on his back. He wished he'd had Talbot along, but his equine companion was too large to move through the marketplace without drawing attention and causing more trouble than he could bring aid.

[sblock=Spells Prepared]Orisons (4): Know Direction, Mending, Cure Minor Wounds, Light
1st level (3): Cure Light Wounds, Produce Flame, Entangle
2nd level (2): Spider Climb, Barkskin[/sblock]

SelcSilverhand

First Post
"Of course, of course, as they say around here "It's not an early drink, it's a very late one!" He takes a moment to pluck the few coins out of his hat and slip them into his pocket. Flipping his hat over he plops it on his head, watching for your surprise when the balls don't fall out. He chuckles and leads you down a series of side streets and through some winding tunnels until you arrive outside a small restaurant two levels higher up the cliff. The street outside is filled with the delicious aroma of cooking ham and potatoes. You note that the inn lacks the stamp of House Ghallandra on the sign outside, indicating that the establishment is not part of the guild. The smiling hostess leads you to a secluded booth with a view of the ocean. She returns shortly with your drinks in hand and says that breakfast will be ready shortly. The artist takes a drink from his hot drink and smiles at you again. "So I take it that you're interested in the painting I made for your friend just the other day. I'm sure she's told you that it is an unfinished work at this time."

Mista Collins

First Post
"She has mentioned the work of art. I'm curious on why you felt the urge to send her a piece? And why the means you did?" Seria asks before she takes a sip of her drink.

Remove ads