Who wants to be a Wayfinder? Part 1

SelcSilverhand

First Post
"I was inspired by the sight of your young friend and created the painting especially for her. Though I do not doubt I could have sold it in one of the finer art houses in the city, I knew in my heart that it should belong to her. I tipped a young lad to slip a piece of the painting to her in hopes that she would give in at last. Persistence is a useful character quality when one makes his living this way. Though even being blessed by a copious amount, I am still struggling. As it is I have fallen on hard times and have turned from painting to other, simpler forms of entertainment in hopes of raising enough funds to secure a warm place to sleep at night. The small amount I've made this morning should be going towards that goal but how could I pass up a meal with such fine company" He gives a mock sigh "I suppose that poverty is the destiny of all artists."

Bront

The man with the probe
"Well, he had some coin, so hopefully that will help pay for his transport to his homeland, and the rest perhaps you could do as a favor to the house? His family deserves the chance to grieve, or appeal to the healers for some kind of resurection, and it would mean a lot to me and my house if you could have his body and belongings sent to his home." Johan says.

OOC: Diplomacy, and if needed, favor from house. If there's a small balance, Johan will cover that.

Shayuri

First Post
Whisper sits as the artist and her fellows converse, watching the elf's face intently and trying to see through to his truer motivations.

(sense motive +3)

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

SelcSilverhand said:
"I was inspired by the sight of your young friend and created the painting especially for her. Though I do not doubt I could have sold it in one of the finer art houses in the city, I knew in my heart that it should belong to her. I tipped a young lad to slip a piece of the painting to her in hopes that she would give in at last. Persistence is a useful character quality when one makes his living this way. Though even being blessed by a copious amount, I am still struggling. As it is I have fallen on hard times and have turned from painting to other, simpler forms of entertainment in hopes of raising enough funds to secure a warm place to sleep at night. The small amount I've made this morning should be going towards that goal but how could I pass up a meal with such fine company" He gives a mock sigh "I suppose that poverty is the destiny of all artists."

Midian furrows his brow before speaking. He also does his best impression of the thicker-headed fighting students back in school.

"I don't 'zactly know 'bout art," he says, "but don't it make a painting ruined if you go cuttin' it up like that? How you goin' to sell somethin' with a hole in it?"

SelcSilverhand

First Post
The mortician does some quick calculating and gives you the sum. He tells Johan that the money Jaron had on his person would cover the cost of sending him home. Once the arrangements are made the man tells Johan once more that he is sorry for his loss and heads back to make the necessary arrangements.
[SBLOCK]
Is there anything Johan would like to do in the city today?
[/SBLOCK]

Whisper
[SBLOCK]
As you study the elf and listen carefully to his lengthly speech, you pick up a few cues. You can't tell if he has outright lied to you yet, but you do not think he is quite as impoverished as he claims. His clothes are clean, expensive looking, and well tended. While he claims to be having a hard time finding a place to sleep, he certainly does not "smell of the street" as it were.

Whisper Sense Motive (1d20+3=11)
[/SBLOCK]

"Aha, I'm glad you have asked my friend. Allow me to demonstrate." He fishes around into a small bag at his side and retrieves the rolled up painting. The bag is clearly magical as it would be far too small to hold something that long. He rolls it out and uses your cups to pin the edges flat. He asks for the bits that Seria has and after he has placed them over the ragged hole in his painting he begins chanting. A moment later the paper crinkles as if moved by a breeze as they settle into place. They smooth out and the edges reconnect making the painting whole once more."A simple cantrip, but invaluable for the day to day wear and tear that can occur. It is a glorious work of art is it not? Why, looking at it again gives me heart pains at the thought of parting with it."

Shayuri

First Post
"It is indeed beautiful," Whisper agrees softly. "And it seems painted on sturdier paper than I had believed before. It will stand up well to the rigors of travel."

"What payment would you accept for this art?"

Mista Collins

First Post
Trying to get as much information before price is discussed, Seria quickly continues the conversation on another topic for the moment. "A very nice trick there, sir. As I mentioned earlier, I have a fascination with art. Why did you go with the choice of colors as you did? Particularly the flag, it looks most impressive."

SelcSilverhand

First Post
The elf says to Seria, "Choosing colors often requires a bit of inspiration. I often spend time look out over the harbor as ships come in and out. I chose this flag from a vessel that was in harbor several weeks back. It's somewhat rare to see the colors of Tharask on a ship considering how many Lyrander, Orien, and independent ships that sail these waters. Of course I hope to finish this painting before the Muse, my inspiration, leaves me entirely. As I told the young miss here" He nods to Whisper, "I need only a fresh supply of paints to complete the work. I work with only the finest materials as you can see. A mere 100 gold coins would not only give me a supply to finish this painting, but give me food and shelter to fuel future works."

Johan makes his way through the bustling streets back to the House Deneith enclave. He seeks out the same official that saw him the other day and relays the story of last nights attack. The official looks quite upset about the matter, stating that an attack against a member of the House (especially one of your standing) is a great offense and pledges to look into the matter. He sends an assistant to check in with the captain of the city guard for an official report and to examine the body of the attacker to see if his face can be matched with any current warrants or bounties. After nearly two hours the assistant returns with a sheaf of papers for the official. He scans through them quickly, the last sheet showing a sketch of the dead attacker. The official then goes through another stack of papers containing all the warrants for this region of the Principalities. "The descriptions we have to work with are never as accurate as you'd like, but there are less than a handful of men that have a facial scar, size, and age that matches your dead friend there. My best guess is that he is, was, Guth Riger. He's known to sail with pirates but moves around from captain to captain as work comes up so there's no definite allegiance that I can point to. He's wanted for the usual crimes, piracy against the Princes, murder, and theft. He hasn't been seen for a few months, likely he was in port spending his pay for whatever illegal venture he was on last. I have some informants that work the docks, I'll see if they can dig up any information on this man and what ship he arrived on. I will also see what bounties were available for this man, you might get a good price for his head. If I find anything I'll send word to you."

Mista Collins

First Post
"100 gold? The art is definitely worth that much, but as a recent student and a traveler, I too have a lot of expenses. In other words, I do not have the mere 100 gold you ask for this fine work of art. "

Remove ads