Who wants to be a Wayfinder? Part 1

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

Mista Collins said:
"All this talk of maps is started to make my head hurt." Seria says almost with a sense of urgency. "I'll be outside getting some fresh air. Do be quick Whisper, you know how impatient I can get."

Midian gives Seria what he hopes isn't too obvious a look of thanks as she starts to head out.

"I think I may have some herbs in Talbot's saddlebags to help with Seria's headache. Johan, perhaps your healing hands might be of use, too?"

Midian heads out with Seria, then, bringing fire's name to mind so that he might call on it if need be.

SelcSilverhand

First Post
While Whisper finishes the transaction and picks up their copy of the travel maps, Seria and Midian hurry outside. Talbot is still standing near the front of the shop but you immediately see the source of his concern. A pair of large black dogs are circling slowly around Talbot forcing him to spin constantly to keep them both in sight. Both dogs are sleek and look well fed. On their necks are large spike studded collars. The continue to circle Talbot lazily, staying well clear of the horses kicks. Though they haven't moved in yet, they are obviously enjoying the horses fear. Laughter erupts from a group of sailors standing nearby watching the panicking horse. One of them, a large man standing a good foot taller than his fellows, sports a large black beard and is holding two long chains.

Mista Collins

First Post
Snickering at Whisper's comment, Seria eyes the sailors with a strong look of disappointment. Seria looks to Whisper and lowers her voice, but not low enough to make it a secret. Anyone with decent ears could probably pick up what she says. "Business must be bad if they don't have enough work to do and must resort to this form of entertainment. Either that or they are too broke to buy some ale. Most likely, they ran their last ship into a reef and sank it along with everything they had."

jkason

First Post

SelcSilverhand said:
A pair of large black dogs are circling slowly around Talbot forcing him to spin constantly to keep them both in sight. Both dogs are sleek and look well fed. On their necks are large spike studded collars. The continue to circle Talbot lazily, staying well clear of the horses kicks. Though they haven't moved in yet, they are obviously enjoying the horses fear.

Midian, obviously agitated by his companion's distress, moves closer to the dogs. He holds his hands to his sides, keeps his shoulders squared and his gaze steady as he calls out to the canines, studiously ignoring their owners.

"Now, now, friends. No need to play this thuggish game, is there?" He knows his words mean nothing without magical aid, but knows also that his tone and body language are all the dogs really need to make their decision...

[sblock=OOC]I've never tried the Wild Empathy skill. Let's give it a go. Midian's got a +5 on the check[/sblock]

SelcSilverhand

First Post
The sailors turn to look at the four of you as you exit the shop. Despite the insults the sailors begin laughing, catcalling, and leering at Whisper and Seria. The large man slings the dog chains over his shoulder and swaggers towards them. "Well well well, what do we have her? These are some fiiine looking ladies here. I wonder how much they are, for the pair. He turns and sneers Johan and Midian. "Don't you worry, some of the ugly motherless lads we hired on just got out of Dreadhold. I'm sure they'd pay for you soft skinned lads as well." He jabs Johan in the chest with a meaty finger and laughs. The other sailors join in hooting and slapping their thighs.
Midian ignores the taunts and focuses his attention on the two dogs harassing Talbot. He adopts an aggressive stance and glares at them to show his dominance. The animals turn in unison and growl in return. They seem undaunted by his attempt to dissuade them but they do turn their attention towards him sparing Talbot any more grief.

ooc - Midian Wild Animal Check (1d20+5=12)

Last edited:

jkason

First Post

SelcSilverhand said:
Midian ignores the taunts and focuses his attention on the two dogs harassing Talbot. He adopts an aggressive stance and glares at them to show his dominance. The animals turn in unison and growl in return. They seem undaunted by his attempt to dissuade them but they do turn their attention towards him sparing Talbot any more grief.

Midian frowns, standing straight again, foregoing more natural signals for those most trained animals recognize.

"Fine. We're not friends," he says, then claps his hands and points back toward the dogs' apparent owners. "Regardless, back off!" he snaps.

[sblock=OOC]Let's try Handle Animal this time. Midian's hoping the dogs' keepers taught it the Down trick, since that's what he's trying to use. Handle Animal +9[/sblock]

Mista Collins

First Post
SelcSilverhand said:
The sailors turn to look at the four of you as you exit the shop. Despite the insults the sailors begin laughing, catcalling, and leering at Whisper and Seria. The large man slings the dog chains over his shoulder and swaggers towards them. "Well well well, what do we have her? These are some fiiine looking ladies here. I wonder how much they are, for the pair.

"It'd cost you more than all your possessions, possibly a hand or two." Seria says with a stern look at the man. "It might pay to have some manners also."

Looking to Whisper, Midian, and Johan, she continues. "Let's get out of here."

SelcSilverhand

First Post
The large man sneers at the group then turns and spits on the porch, narrowly missing your feet. "Ya've got a smart tongue lass, ya best watch yourself 'less someone takes it from ya. Yer lucky I've got other things to do today than teach ya a thing or two."
Midian meanwhile seems to have the dogs under control. He waves his hand and signals the dogs to back down. They stop their slow stalk around him and look back and forth between their master and him a little confused about what to do.
The large man glares at Midian then whistles a sharp note to summon the dogs. They hurry after him up onto the porch as he stomps towards the shop door. The other sailors seem to take their cues from him and they find a place to loiter nearby while he takes care of business. Though they stop their catcalling they still give the group dark looks as you pass.

ooc - Midian Handle Animal (1d20+9=23)

You now have a quite detailed nautical map of the area around northern Tempest Isle and the Straits. Along with the secret map from the painting, you have a good idea on how to get to the location marked on it.

Mista Collins

First Post
"Now let's find a semi-respectable captain and crew who can take us here," Seria says with a lowered voice only her companions can hear. "I'm starting to dislike this city."

Remove ads