Who would worship the following?

Angelsboi

First Post
Ummm its a fantasy game. He has the appearance of a teenager. Its a long story.

well what about a favored weapon and what about Hiro?

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
For the favored weapon for the Community/Ancestor god, how about a net (everyone gathered together) or any weapon used by the ancestor in question (variable by family).

For Morpheous how about a sap (knocking people into dreamland)?

For worshipers for the Community/Ancestor god - as was said, close-knit communities, those families with particular powerful ancestors, etc.

For Morpheous - seers, oracles, those who suffer from visions (epilieptics, the sick, and dying), all those who sleep, and insomniacs

hunter2112

First Post
I was going to say this only for the Dream God but really it could work for both. What about an Aboriginal poeple? Just a thought of course but these gods sound like just the types for a native people I had in an old setting of mine. Wish I'd thought of 'em myself.

Jamdin

Explorer
Angelsboi said:
A god of sleep and dreams and a god of community and ancestors?

Creative people (artists, poets, writers, etc.) could worship a god of sleep and dreams. The dreams could be their source for inspiration. Plus those seeking a natural drug could use a dream as a gateway to enlightenment. Imagine the Cult of Higher Dreams would use an excuse to sleep all the time in order to traverse the alternate world of dreams.

How about male Wiccans worshipping a god of community and ancestors? They would be active in the community (neighborhood watch, PTA, perhaps a councilman) and have a strong history of ancestors to be proud of (perhaps all the men were doctors, soldiers, government officials, etc.)

-Ekimus-

First Post
Morpheous is by far the greatest god known to this game. as a teenager (blah) im always tired, as are most of us. so it makes sense he's the teenage god lol.

to some of us at least.

Shadowdancer

First Post
I agree that a sand-filled sap would make a good favorite weapon of the Dream God. That's what I thought of right away.

Worshipers of the community and ancestors god -- I immediately thought of halflings. That might not work for your game world, though. Also historians, librarians, anyone who works to preserve records from the past.

A weapon for them is tough. If it is tied to a specific race, such as halflings, then a racially preferred weapon would be appropriate --a missle weaspon such as the sling or short bow for halflings.

Terraism

Explorer
I might be the only guy who doesn't think that that the sap fits - I saw Ray Silver's post about using a net and I immediately thought he was going to relate it to the god of dreams - it just seems more appropriate to me. I see a net being put out to "catch" dreams as they pass, and it just makes sense to me. Maybe growing up in a house full of dreamweavers (dreamcatchers?) biased me. :)

Well, a god of sleep and dreams with a youth connection could be worshipped by a whole mess of people worried about youth and aging.

Other important aspect of worship, however, would be protection while sleeping and dreaming and asking for particular types of same. Everyone would pray for protection, and some who suffer from madness, paranoia, thieves, and so forth would pray for succor. Many would pray for specific types of sleep and dreams. A specifically sexual aspect would undoubtably develop as those who wished to sleep next to others would pray for aid. People seeking to dream of lost or unknown things would also seek aid, so anyone who needs inspiration.

Related professionals would be devout worshippers of the god. Nightwatchmen who must protect others while they sleep and also need protection from sleep. People who deal with the insane or disturbed. Travellers. Innkeepers. Revellers and organizers of revells. People who need inspiration. Detectives. Teachers. Many people in medical professions. Hunters and shepherds.

People who want others to be vulnerable while sleeping would be a distinct cult. So their would likely be a thieves and assassins form of the church.

Prison guards would have a very particular relationship with the deity. The sandman comics do a lot of riffs on the importance of dreams to those who make prisons and I find that both striking and true. And prison guards really need to be protected from sleep.

Whatever weapon is commonly associated with nightwatchmen would be my pick for favored weapon. Though garotes, nets, lassoes, and bolas might also work as they have to do with either capture or unconsciosness. Some form of fighting torch might also work. The light of dreams and those what protect you while you sleep and party and what not.

Ancestors and community is actually going to be pretty related to Morpheus. People will want to dream of thier loved ones and be protected from night terrors.

A deity of Ancestors and community is always very powerful and popular. Vesta in ancient Rome, for instance, had no power in the theology but her priesthood and cult had a lot of power in the city. Very often associated with the hearth.

Worshippers would be anyone who ran a family or community and anyone who would be a supplicant to the above. The god or goddess would also enjoy universal worship whenever a large scale community event was being celebrated or endured.

The other aspect of worship would be the elderly, the young, and funerary rites. The elderly would seek aid in being proper ancestors to the youthful and future generations. The young would seek guidance in dealing with the ancestors or guidance from honored ancestors. Anyone who had just lost an ancestor would be very interested in worshipping the deity for the wellfare of their departed and their own ability to remember and honor them properly.

Related professions would be anyone involved in burial, lawmakers, community servants, historians, sages, politicians, religious leaders, public works architects, people who use public works, and crusaders of various types.

Favored weapon would be whatever is associated with general authority and guidance. Traditionally this would be a staff or rod/mace. A conservative but strong weapon with plenty of peaceful purposes. Particularly militarisit cultures might have a traditional weapon that is associated with their bond with the community. Like Claymores and Skean Dhu for Scotsmen and the daisho for samurai.

Sound like great deities. Good luck with the campaign. I always like to hear about it.

Remove ads