Who's a minion? You are!

Can you tell a Minion from a non-Minion?

• No, they look the same

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Yes, it is obvious

Votes: 42 45.7%
  • Yes, with a high enough Monster Knowledge check

Votes: 20 21.7%

Caliber

Explorer
Would anyone answer differently going the opposite direction?

Are Elites/Solos noticable with Monster Knowledge rolls (or just by looking at them) or is just more of "this guy is described different and happens to seriously be kicking your butt"?

BTW, Thanks for all the responses so far! :)

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Are Elites/Solos noticable with Monster Knowledge rolls (or just by looking at them) or is just more of "this guy is described different and happens to seriously be kicking your butt"?

I would use the same treatment. Minion, Elite, and Solo are narrative devices so the only clues I would give the players are in the narration of the creatures' descriptions.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
In my games, minions are fairly obvious, with an emphasis on fair.

The minis all start out as "a big wolf" or "an elf". However, when a minion hits, I don't roll damage -- an early alert for players.

When the first of a specific minion type is killed, then I start announcing "the minion moves and shoots!" for that minion type, instead of "the elf moves and shoots!", for example.

Usually by the second or third round, all minions are called out as such.

I feel this is a good mix of initial mystery and tactical knowledge, but it's just like how I've done AC and defenses -- they're all secret in the beginning, then the PCs learn them as they exactly hit or miss by one point, until they're all common knowledge around round 5.

Cheers, -- N

Ourph

First Post
I think it's sometimes appropriate for minions to be easily noticeable and sometimes appropriate for minions to look like their fellows. As a DM, I would feel free to use both approaches, depending on which would make the combat more interesting and exciting for the players.

IanArgent

First Post
Minions obvious, and when I get around to using elites or solos, they will be obvious also. Purely metagame on my part, though I can justify if I have to. This is nothing new for me, though - I ran several games in a couple of systems this way; I prefer the more pulp-like feel.

Vayden

First Post
*cough* Of course you can tell which ones are minions. I'm using bottle-caps to represent them instead of actual minis.

/doesn't have enough kobold/goblin minis yet.

pawsplay

Hero
Using one elite, two regular kobolds, and eight kobold minions, and using the same mini for all of them, would be pretty sadistic.

Obryn

Hero
I let 'em know - or at least, I have so far to introduce them to the concept of "minions."

Since they're a metagame construct, I have no shame in sharing that knowledge with the players.

-O

Mercule

Adventurer
Yes, minions are a narrative device (and a tactical one as well), but that doesn't mean their role in the narration is hidden. This guy looks like something special, while these guys look like common mooks. What's wrong with that?
This.

4e is pretty cinematic in tone. Minions are obvious most of the time. Not always, mind you, but generally speaking. The goal of minions isn't to sucker your players. It's to provide a few heavies to back up the main event.

If a non-minion is trying to look like a minion (or vice versa), I'd probably give it what amounted to a bluff/insight check.

Even in 3.5, I figure that most PCs of 3rd level or so can gauge the general prowess of their foes.

Remove ads