• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Who's in the Who's Who of D&D

Parmandur

Book-Friend
For fun:

Spellcasters with named Spells in the 2014 PHB:
  • Bigby
  • Evard
  • Leomund
  • Melf
  • Mordenkainen
  • Nystul
  • Otiluke
  • Otto
  • Rary
  • Tasha
  • Tenser
And additional Spellcasters with names in Xanathar's, Tasha's, and Fizban's:
  • Abi-Dalzim
  • Aganazzar
  • Ashardalon
  • Fizban
  • Maximilian
  • Nathair
  • Raulothim
  • Rime
  • Snilloc

Well, whatever they put in, I hope its no more than about 3 pages. I also don't have any interest in stat blocks.
Lore is great, in a product designed to produce lore. The DMG needs to be about how to learn to DM, how to create adventures, and the tools for creating such. Lore is a part of that, but, IMO, only a small part of what should be in the DMG.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well, whatever they put in, I hope its no more than about 3 pages. I also don't have any interest in stat blocks.
Lore is great, in a product designed to produce lore. The DMG needs to be about how to learn to DM, how to create adventures, and the tools for creating such. Lore is a part of that, but, IMO, only a small part of what should be in the DMG.
It sounds like they are making these new books physically larger than the 2014 books, at least. Much more than 3 pages seem likely, particularly as this will serve as a sort of franchise Bible for TV, video game and toy partners.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sounds like something that would be better done as a Rogue's Gallery sort of product. Not really something I'd like to see taking up space in the DMG.
The more I think about it, the more I feel that it is actually a brilliant idea to have a "lore intro course" set up as a reference in the DMG. Lore glossaries in the back are very useful for a lot of complex fantasy novels, and getting new players up to speed without ceding the brand to Googling shady wikis makes sense from WotC point of view.

Apparently, the VTT developers told the attendees of the creator summit that the main competitor for thir product is Google Image Search, so their goal is to make using the VTT as convenient as Googling "Red Drafon Lair." Given the nature of the game today, I imagine the same is true of the core books.

bloodtide

Legend
I guess the idea is to push the D&D Multiverse IP. It would seem the game, or more accurately the VVT open to all the 50 years of settings and lore. So, kinda like The Magic the Gathering Card Game, or even more accurately the old Spellfire Card Game. The Default D&D world will be a blank slate where you can "plug in" anything and "play it".

So you'd plug in Setting: Waterdeep, Hero Wizard: Bigby and Foe: Venger and have a game. So you'd need a sample from each setting.

For a short time, Dragon did a bunch of Ecology articles with the real world background of the monster. I'd love to see that for everything. Though that would be a page per thing. Maybe too much for the DMG. Maybe a nice book though: a "non game book" of just real D&D lore.

GuyBoy

Hero
I guess the idea is to push the D&D Multiverse IP. It would seem the game, or more accurately the VVT open to all the 50 years of settings and lore. So, kinda like The Magic the Gathering Card Game, or even more accurately the old Spellfire Card Game. The Default D&D world will be a blank slate where you can "plug in" anything and "play it".

So you'd plug in Setting: Waterdeep, Hero Wizard: Bigby and Foe: Venger and have a game. So you'd need a sample from each setting.

For a short time, Dragon did a bunch of Ecology articles with the real world background of the monster. I'd love to see that for everything. Though that would be a page per thing. Maybe too much for the DMG. Maybe a nice book though: a "non game book" of just real D&D lore.
A book of real D&D lore sounds like a cool product for a 50th Anniversary!

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Brief list-

Greyhawk
Alhamazad the Wise
Arnd
Bucknard
Gord
Heward
Jallarzi Sallavarian
Keoghtom
Murlynd
Nolzur
Quaal
Riggby
Robilar
Serten
Theodain Eriason
Warnes Starcoat
Zagig Yrageme

Named Wizards
Abi-Dalzim
Aganazzar
Bigby (GH)
Drawmij (GH)
Leomund (GH)
Maximilian
Melf (GH)
Mordenkainen (GH)
Nystul (GH)
Otiluke (GH)
Otto
Rary (GH)
Sniloc
Tasha (GH)
Tenser (GH)

Villains
Acererak
Asmodeus
Bargle (#REALLYAHERO!)
Demogorgon
Graz'zt
Iggwilv
Iuz
King Snurre
Lolth
Lord Soth
Orcus
Rary
Szass Tam
Strahd von Zarovich
Tharizdun
Tiamat
Vecna
Venger
Vlaakith
Warduke
Xanathar
Zargon

GuyBoy

Hero
Brief list-

Greyhawk
Alhamazad the Wise
Arnd
Bucknard
Gord
Heward
Jallarzi Sallavarian
Keoghtom
Murlynd
Nolzur
Quaal
Riggby
Robilar
Serten
Theodain Eriason
Warnes Starcoat
Zagig Yrageme

Named Wizards
Abi-Dalzim
Aganazzar
Bigby (GH)
Drawmij (GH)
Leomund (GH)
Maximilian
Melf (GH)
Mordenkainen (GH)
Nystul (GH)
Otiluke (GH)
Otto
Rary (GH)
Sniloc
Tasha (GH)
Tenser (GH)

Villains
Acererak
Asmodeus
Bargle (#REALLYAHERO!)
Demogorgon
Graz'zt
Iggwilv
Iuz
King Snurre
Lolth
Lord Soth
Orcus
Rary
Szass Tam
Strahd von Zarovich
Tharizdun
Tiamat
Vecna
Venger
Vlaakith
Warduke
Xanathar
Zargon
Eclavdra?

Digdude

Just a dude with a shovel, looking for the past.
Birthright

Swordmage
The Gorgon
The Whitewitch
El Hadeid
Prince Avan
Duke Borunie
Rhubie Manslayer
Guilder Kaliene
The Spider

And that's just off the top of my head. Forgive my spelling my other 12 BR players....

Remove ads