Who's the best of the new Star Wars characters?

Who's the best new Star Wars character?

• Kylo Ren

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • BB-8

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Rey

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Poe Dameron

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Finn

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • General Hux

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Captain Phasma

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
With of these new characters did you like the most?

yxJKXVf.jpg

Last edited:

horacethegrey

First Post
It was a close call between Rey and Kylo Ren. But in the end Kylo got my vote.

He was easily the most interesting character in the movie. Not to say that the others didn't peak my interest, they all did. It's just Kylo had an intriguing arc that had me wanting to know where it was headed. [SBLOCK]Some people will say that "he's just a Darth Vader wannabe!" But the fact he is a wannabe is entirely the point, because Ren himself acknowledges this fact and has issues with living up to Vader's legacy (these issues are doubled by the fact that he's actually Vader's grandson). And the movie also highlights just how far he has to go before he can reach Vader's level. Where Vader was outwardly calm yet still ruthless in dispensing his evil, Ren will violently lash out like a petulant child when things don't go his way. And his lack of self control is what bites him in the ass at the end of the film, when Rey, who is a complete novice in the Force bests him. Now come next film he'll be wanting to come back with a vengeance after being humiliated like that. I really think this new trilogy will be as much about Kylo Ren's journey to achieve his potential as it is Rey's. [/SBLOCK]

Cor Azer

First Post
I find Finn the most interesting, simply because I've never considered the idea of a Stormtrooper breaking his conditioning.

And while it's behind-the-scenes, I don't recall ever seeing someone so gleefully excited to be part of something like John Boyega is, and that excitement carries over into his portrayal.

Ryujin

Legend
Finn.

[sblock]He's raised to hatred from an orphaned childhood, taught essentially nothing but what's useful in killing (or at least mopping up Death Star Mk III), and yet he rebels against doing what his heart tells him is wrong.[/sblock]

MarkB

Legend
Finn.

[sblock]He's raised to hatred from an orphaned childhood, taught essentially nothing but what's useful in killing (or at least mopping up Death Star Mk III), and yet he rebels against doing what his heart tells him is wrong.[/sblock]

Yeah, that's who I went with too. He's got no personal agenda except to escape his old life, and yet when he first sees someone in trouble, his immediate instinct is to help them, and his personal journey is at least equally as compelling as Rey's.

There's been a lot of speculation about Rey's parentage, but I do wonder whether there's anything special about Finn's family that had something to do with him being able to break free from his conditioning. Not that there are a great many choices in that regard, given the relative dearth of black characters in the original trilogies.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
Yeah, that's who I went with too. He's got no personal agenda except to escape his old life, and yet when he first sees someone in trouble, his immediate instinct is to help them, and his personal journey is at least equally as compelling as Rey's.

There's been a lot of speculation about Rey's parentage, but I do wonder whether there's anything special about Finn's family that had something to do with him being able to break free from his conditioning. Not that there are a great many choices in that regard, given the relative dearth of black characters in the original trilogies.

Not to mention that the whole "no attachments/emotional control" thing works against bloodlines that are 'strong with the Force", seemingly with very good reason. Every time that I think of Star Wars genetics it makes me want to see a serious adaptation of Gordon R. Dickson's "Childe Cycle."

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Rey was my favorite. She's obviously very powerful, self-reliant, incredibly fast at learning
(a big thank you to the force)
, and yet I don't think she's in Mary Sue territory. She gets scared. She runs. She is able to overcome those traits, but she still has weaknesses. And that makes for an interesting character.

I think Kylo Ren was a close second. He's obviously very conflicted, and that inner conflict is an interesting one. He's essentially willing himself to be something that -at his heart- it seems like he doesn't want to be. And for all his power (say, that first scene he shows up in), he's also filled with flaws. From my point of view, that makes watching his development very interesting.

I like Finn, too, but I don't know where he's going. He seems to be overshadowed in basically every area by Rey (piloting, fighting, knowledge about the galaxy), and yet he is still pulled to help out. And that's really compelling, for me. He's closer to the every-man, so he's easier to identify with. And even with all that, he still has fear and flaws that he has to overcome. And he does because of his big heart, which makes him easy to root for.

I liked Poe and BB-8, too, even though I didn't think I'd like either much. I was much more impressed by the new characters than by our old favorites. They blew my (low) expectations out of the water. So, props to Jar Jar Abrams for that.

Remove ads