• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why 2 Magazines?

catsclaw227

First Post
I think there is plenty of material for the Annuals.

<snip>

There will most likely be another 480 pages in the Jan-Jun 2009 issues, also giving WotC more than 1000 pages of material to work with for the September Dragon annual.
Yea, I did the math after my post, too. There's gonna be pleeeeenty of material for a Dragon Annual.

Qwillion

First Post
So that they can release two annual compilations DUNGEON and DRAGON. Along with the DM magazine and players magazine its also the name of the game, its a little too much synergy to make them one book. I still wish it had remained a print magazine though. :(

Are they selling them individualy now? As far as I know the only way you can get them is subscribing to the DDI as a whole... which gives you both.

Nope. Any player-only who takes out a DDI subscription gets Dungeon mag. And if they are paying for it they may as well read it, right?

I wouldn't want to be a DM trying to run Dungeon adventures, myself. Simply because of this problem.

JDJblatherings

First Post
There aren't two magazines there are zero magazines as there is no Dragon Magazine or Dungeon Magazine, they are now webpages. Web-zines just aren't a magazine.

catsclaw227

First Post
There aren't two magazines there are zero magazines as there is no Dragon Magazine or Dungeon Magazine, they are now webpages. Web-zines just aren't a magazine.
Not according to Merriam-Webster.

magazine - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Merriam-Webster said:
4 a: a periodical containing miscellaneous pieces (as articles, stories, poems) and often illustrated ; also : such a periodical published online b: a similar section of a newspaper usually appearing on Sunday c: a radio or television program presenting usually several short segments on a variety of topics
Clearly online publications are called magazines as well.

Wicht

Hero
Clearly online publications are called magazines as well.

Not to open up old (still festering) wounds but more in the interest of arguing semantics... If a magazine, even online, is defined as a periodical publication, then wouldn't a true magazine need a single publication date for its contents. A web-site that puts up articles one at a time is not actually a periodical publication, is it? If it is, then most blogs with editorial and reporting content would qualify as magazines. And while I think that e-zines are poor substitutes for paper magazines at least most e-zines tend to have a single publication date, don't they?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I have no fear of my players reading Dungeon. If I tell them we are running something, why would they ruin the fun by reading it.

If we much later (months or years) play something they've read, oh well. It can still be fun. It's not like this is some kind of competition, is it?

Why can't we just talk about the magazines/ezines? The decision is done at this point. If you want to talk about something else, fork it please.

Scribble

First Post
Not to open up old (still festering) wounds but more in the interest of arguing semantics... If a magazine, even online, is defined as a periodical publication, then wouldn't a true magazine need a single publication date for its contents. A web-site that puts up articles one at a time is not actually a periodical publication, is it? If it is, then most blogs with editorial and reporting content would qualify as magazines. And while I think that e-zines are poor substitutes for paper magazines at least most e-zines tend to have a single publication date, don't they?

They do. At the end of the month they comile it all and release the compilation as a single "issue." They just also release each article throughout the month, which is common practice in online magazines.

Remove ads