• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General why are dwarves harder to think of varients for?

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
it occurred to me when contemplating on making a cooler setting of the triumvirate of nearly omnipresent options dwarves seem to all end up sort of clones of each other and this bugged me thus I am making this thread.

elves I swear you find a new hill and you will find a new varient.

orc do well but still need to move beyond barbarians

humans are not a part triumvirate as they are the only real option.

why can't I figure out how to make more different variants of dwarves past making them evil?
I also notice this in other settings so it does not seem to be a me limitation.

why is this and can it be remedied?

it occurred to me when contemplating on making a cooler setting of the triumvirate of nearly omnipresent options dwarves seem to all end up sort of clones of each other and this bugged me thus I am making this thread.

elves I swear you find a new hill and you will find a new varient.

orc do well but still need to move beyond barbarians

humans are not a part triumvirate as they are the only real option.

why can't I figure out how to make more different variants of dwarves past making them evil?
I also notice this in other settings so it does not seem to be a me limitation.

why is this and can it be remedied?
Honestly, I don’t understand the problem. Why can’t you have many variants of dwarves? I don’t think I see any reason to limit them?

Staffan

Legend
Dwarves and elves are sort of to either side of humans. Humans can be pretty flexible in adapting to different environments through equipment, but it takes a pretty long time for them to adapt physically. We generally find it easier to adapt the environment to ourselves, at least in the short term. Elves are super adaptable to different environments, which is why you get different variants for the arctics, woods, other woods, desert, the sea, underground, and so on. But dwarves are what they are, and they either stay where they are or make the place they go into something dwarfy.

It also helps that most places do have an underground, and "dwarves that live beneath a forest" doesn't necessarily differ much from "dwarves that live beneath a desert."

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Honestly, I don’t understand the problem. Why can’t you have many variants of dwarves? I don’t think I see any reason to limit them?
I don’t think what they’re saying isn’t that there can’t be many variants of dwarves, just that dwarves seem to be very tightly focused conceptually in the public consciousness, any given manifestation of dwarves is much more likely to be more similar to any other version of dwarves than when comparing elves or the like across different media

I don’t think what they’re saying isn’t that there can’t be many variants of dwarves, just that dwarves seem to be very tightly focused conceptually in the public consciousness, any given manifestation of dwarves is much more likely to be more similar to any other version of dwarves than when comparing elves or the like across different media
I guess I just don’t feel like that is true. The public consciousness has, IMO, a pretty limited view of elves too. Basicaly “wood elves” with maybe “high elves.” And that is it. But I generally come across that elves are one way and dwarves are somewhat opposite of them. The idea that there is a huge variety of elves is not, IMO, in the public consciousness anymore than it is for dwarves.

Divine2021

Adventurer
Dwarves are awesome, and when WoTC isn’t too busy neutering their coolest sub races, really have a lot of potential to tell good stories as characters. WFRP has the best Dwarfs.

jgsugden

Legend
Here are the different dwarves in my homebrew setting:

1.) Mountain (live deep in Mountains - as PHB)
2.) Hill (Live on/near the surface - as PHB for the most part)
3.) Duergar (Live in the Underdark - per the books, mostly, but their primary culture tends toward duty rather than the more sinister highlights common in other game)
4.) Elemental Dwarves - These dwarves come from my Elemental Plane (I have one Elemental Plane rather than 4/8 Elemental Planes). They Have the same core abilities as most dwarves, but they speak Elemental Languages, they gain resistance to fire and cold, and they gain 2 cantrips and 2 spells from a specific list (all elemental themed - and generally seen as weaker and non-combat). They are the greatest miners of the Known Universe.
5.) Vylons - Twisted by the Far Realms, these dwarves have nightmarish earthen inspired abilities. They gain a fear ability useful once per short rest, psionic abilities (using my house rules), and the ability to return foes to the Earth (if you're in their aura, large or smaller and in natural terrain you make saving throws at the end of your turn. The first failed one reduces your speed. The second grapples you. The third (if the grapple is not broken and you fail the save) pulls you into the earth (restrained). The fourth crushes and begins to suffocate you. Their culture encourages them to be Warlocks of the Great Old Ones.
6.) Mechs - These dwarves meld technology and magic into their beings. They're essentially arcane cyborgs - and in some ways are the Borg of my setting. They aspire for perfection of form and usually stay self contained, but send out missions to add new tools to their communities. They gain additional attunement slots (6), but when they attune, they attune for life as the magic is embedded into them. They also get to graft on mundane items and steal magic from other magic items in order to enchant something they've incorporated. While they keep to themselves most of the time, if they believe that a culture is worthy of contributing to their goals, they will attack, enslave, and then forcibly incorporate them into their culture. They are incapable of disobeying their Matriarch.
7.) Gyargants - They're size large and gain the abilities you'd get if the enlarge spell were permanent on you. They also gain the ability to throw improvised weapons as if they were light crossbow bolts that dealt 1d12+1d4 damage. They need larger mundane items, which cost more, but their larger weapons deal 1 larger sized dice damage. They can't cast spells of Divine, Arcane or Nature magic (meaning you're stuck with a fighter, barbarian or rogue usually - although they can be paladins that use the slots to smite).

Remove ads